Is this girl a guy?

Plinky

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016

This is Pinky one of four chicks acquired a week ago Saturday. The other three chicks were said to be a day old and this one was supposed to be 4 days older. So that would make her about a almost two weeks old now. Very healthy and beautiful chick. No pasty butt scares like the others. She is the one that "attacked" me as I was picking up one of her pals. Look at that crest and tail! She is a Leghorn and I know they have a big crest, but I have had the idea from the beginning that she is a rooster. Any thoughts?

There is a possibility.

Does she ver peep once she has found feed?When my leghorn was little like that his crestw as exactly like that ones.usually if that is a leghorn pullet she will have a slightly bigger looser comb.

Oh yes, she peeps, she scratches like a maniac getting the feed out of the feeder. When she starts pecking at something the other three come over and join in.

The size of the comb may point to it being male, but the real tell will be in a couple or so more weeks if it turns pinkish from it's current yellowish hue.

I know my New Hampshire Red looked just like that, we all thought she would turn out to be a rooster ended up just having a nice a comb for a hen! Of course the one we thought was a hen turned out a rooster and he was the one that would attack us and all the others would kind of follow in her footsteps and he didn't get his comb for a long while.

Back
Top Bottom