Is this gleet? pic included *ick*

Can you take a fresh poop sample to a vet and have it checked for worm eggs, coccidia, bacteria and yeast?

-Kathy

Thank you. Yes we will have to check into that. Can worms affect just one hen in a flock?

They sure can. There is a vet on another thread that said something like "20% of your flock will have 80% of the worms". Just remember that just because you don't see worms, doesn't mean they don't have them.

-Kathy

Possibly, but unlikely. If you worm one, you may as well worm them all. :)

I see little, baby feather shafts on her rear. Is that new growth, broken feathers, or is that an open wound? I might isolate this chicken to get her away from the others to avoid them pecking at her underside. That could turn into something nasty if her flockmates see tender, red flesh. Dog crate in the warm, dry, quiet garage might do her some good. High protein feed like scrambled eggs and meal worms alongside her regular feed can help her rebuild tissue.

Sorry for your troubles!

MrsB

Thanks Mrs. B! If I bring her in for a few days, will the others pick on her when she's reintroduced?

Last edited:
Thanks Mrs. B! If I bring her in for a few days, will the others pick on her when she's reintroduced?

It's possible, but if you can catch any culprits and separate THEM (sort of like a chicken time-out), a few days usually breaks that behavior. :)

Have you seen anyone bothering her?

MrsB

It's possible, but if you can catch any culprits and separate THEM (sort of like a chicken time-out), a few days usually breaks that behavior. :)

Have you seen anyone bothering her?

MrsB

I haven't but we don't observe them much when they are in the run, only when they free range. I have seen HER pecking and grabbing other hens occasionally though. In your opinion, does it look like an injury and not a parasite, bacteria, or fungus?
I'm not sure if those are new feathers or broken ones.

Vent (blue arrow) looks too open and the area with the scab (pink circle) could be from fluid draining from her vent (scald), hens picking at her, or both. Have you checked her for mite and lice?

-Kathy

x2, everything that Kathy said.

It definitely looks scabbed over, which means tissue is being removed from the area...

Her flock mates could be doing it to her if they're attracted to it... Or, if she has external parasites, she could be doing it to herself in an attempt to scratch that itch.

Neosporin (the same stuff you use on yourself) could help her heal, too. Avoid hydrogen peroxide. It will eat their skin... If you have it, Chlorhexidine (you can get it at Walgreens) can be used to wash the wound. :)

I hope we can figure out the cause!

MrsB

Thank you both so much! We are fairly new to chickens and I haven't checked her for mites or lice. I'm overwhelmed with possibilities right now. I guess we will start by bathing her and separating her.

Back
Top Bottom