is this guy really worth 100 dollars?

Quote:
I never once said you had an "uninformed opinion". I was trying to point out to others that it may seem like a good idea at the time, but there's also a risk aspect to your idea. It's not a bad way to look at the transaction, but others may not realize what else is entailed. It was not a "bash" to your way of thinking.

I'm sorry if you felt as though I was attacking your idea?

He really isnt asking $100 for the rooster though. He's just stating that he is worth that much. Its like when I sold my little Honda car. I said it was worth $10,000 BUT I was only asking $6500.

But either way I personally wouldnt pay more than $20 for him. And still thats a little high.

Quote:
I wouldnt think totally free. I mean the person does have to feed the roo. And chicken feed isnt free, well around here it isnt. I think someone could at least ask for something. Maybe just $5 or $10, but something to try and cover the cost of feeding him up until that age.

Quote:
Hmm, I've got some cockerels for sale right now - $8 each. Not exactly ripping anyone off. Probably not even paying for the feed to get them to this size. So, I should raise a bird for 4-5 months, feed it, water it, cull out those that are not good looking, and then give away the nice ones?

I could put it in the freezer and save around $10 on the price of a roaster or charge $8 to someone looking for a nice cockerel. I think suggesting that all but show winners or rare breeds should be free is a bit overboard. Heck, I don't even show, but that doesn't mean that my lines are not show worthy. Why is it that so many expect something for nothing. If the bird is worth nothing, no one would want it - even free. If it has value - certainly it must be at least the value of the meat.

For "Rodriquez Poultry".....

My reference to "uneducated or uninformed opinion" WAS NOT a reference to ANY comment that you have made, but merely a reference to a posting of my own, admitting my own ignorance in this area.

I'm sorry that my posting may have seemed to refer to you. That was certainly NOT my intention.

Regarding another thought:

The "Greater Fool Theory" (basically stated) says that if you buy something for a price "greater than the APPARENT MARKET" then you must find a "Greater Fool" upon which to "unload" your POOR INVESTMENT....

th.gif

old.gif

-Junkmanme-
smile.png

when i get rid of cockerels i usually give them away but my ameraucanas i charge $5-10 a piece depending on age and quality but i wouldnt give anything over $10 for the roo in question and the seller is insinuating that he is worth alot its just a advertising tacktic he isnt in great shape and has no proof of quality other than the pictures no breeder info no offspring and never shown so the information for a price like that isnt there

the seller is insinuating that he is worth alot its just a advertising tacktic he isnt in great shape and has no proof of quality other than the pictures no breeder info no offspring and never shown so the information for a price like that isnt there

The seller may have information that isn't listed in the ad. He may be using an advertising tactic, but he may actually believe that the value of the bird is that high. The photos are not great of closeups, can't really tell what damage was done.

Saying that there is no rooster worth money unless it has won shows really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How about the parent birds of the show winner--some people keep individual breeding pens and good records--they can point out the exact parents of the winner, and also the results of other chicks from that pair.

And then there is the matter of which show a bird won at. The grand champion of an unsanctioned show with a total of 30 birds may well not compare to the 4th place black australorp cock at a large show with 100 australorps plus all the other birds. Or that small unsanctioned show just might have the best australorp breeder in the country because its a local show and he/she is supporting a local club.

The vast majority of folks who keep chickens have them for eggs, meat, pets or some combination of those. The number of folks who show and breed are significanly smaller. Very few in that first group is likely to purchase a high dollar chicken--for one thing, most are not readily conversant with the fine points for a specific breed. But many in the later group will pay out the $$$ for the right bird--and most of the time they know what they are doing.​

i totally get that but there has to be a reason to even put out a figure like that but a good point the seller might be with holding information that could be the key to figuring out this whole mess but i was just saying you have to have some proof of quality or at least a better pic

In all honesty, the bird is not awful quality, however I would have paid $100 for the entire set, hens included. The person may just be trying to recoup the loss of money in the breeder birds that were lost.

Back
Top Bottom