Is this heat lamp secure enough?

foxy2320

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Oregon
I just got my first two chicks (have a flock of 10 outside) and I'm super afraid of a heat lamp fire, especially since our Rubbermaid "brooder" is in my daughter's room. I've read stories of faulty clamps, etc, and I would just die if something happened because I didn't know what I was doing. I got a clamp light and 250 W red bulb at Coastal, clamped it to the side of the tub, then ran two separate lines of picture wire to anchors in the wall. I just want to make sure a.) it's secure enough, b.) I'm not overheating the chicks, c.) I'm not going to start a fire, and d.) that its normal for them to lay down and go to sleep and that doing so is not a sign of overheating. I hope these aren't super obvious answers, but I never had to do this when I bought coop-ready pullets!

a chick does need to rest, but if they are stretched way out; they are to hot. as far as your brooder, that is how I brood mine without the wire. I cant say that this runs true everywhere but a lamp that has a ceramic base is usually stronger. most of the time they even have better clamps judging by the ones available locally.

it sounds like you do have it plenty secure, just make sure your daughter cant trip over the wire and you should be fine.

since you are doing this in your house, you may be able to get away with a 150 watt bulb in a 16-18 gallon tote.

I was thinking I would get a lower wattage bulb tomorrow if I can find it. I'm also thinking of picking up some day old chicks if they have the breed I want, they should get along okay with my week old chicks, shouldn't they? And if there's more of them, they can keep each other warm. I just checked on them about 20 minutes ago, they were close to each other (but not stacked on top of each other), and one had it's wings slightly out, but not completely open, more like my chickens do when they find the sun on a cold day. I'll check on them a few more times tonight. And no worries about my daughter tripping over the wires, the tub is on her dresser and the anchor points are about 6-7 feet up the wall. I think since our house runs between 70*-73* on average I will try to find a lower wattage bulb. I do like the infrared though, they seem to be calmer than when I had them under the white light on my kitchen table, I just don't know if they make those in a lower wattage. Hopefully all goes well and I won't be as nervous after tonight. Like I said, it's the first batch of babies I've had.

if you go to a larger feed store to get your chicks, they should have a 150 watt red or white bulb.

as far as mixing the chicks, it should be fine. just don't mix bantams with larger chicks.

it sounds like you have your temp in descent shape.

So here's a top-view pic. They're sleeping, like I said wings are not spread super wide, just angled out slightly. There is a cooler shaded area which they are not in, and they're not huddled super close. They are bonded, they were the last two in their brooder at Coastal (big local chain store). Roughly 5-7 days, feathers on wings. Is it safe to assume that if they're sleeping soundly they're comfortable?

I think I just have to quit worrying and let them get through the night. They seem to be fine, but just to be sure I put them in the shaded area (they weren't happy that I woke them!), and after poking around for a bit they went back over. I guess they know what they want better than I do! I just hope now they're not too cold. I have a hard time believing they would freeze to death in a 70*+ house.

I just realized that I had seen them checking out the food dish, but not the waterer. So I woke them up...again...and dipped their beaks in the water. They stood there and drank on and off for a couple minutes. I think maybe they were starting to get thirsty. I have electrolytes in the water as well, so hopefully now that they know there is cool water in there to wash down and that food and pine pellets they keep throwing around, maybe they'll be able to regulate their temps even better. Thanks for all your help. It seems like so many of us on here see our chickens the same way we see our dogs and children...a good chicken parent never stops worrying I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom