Is this I absorbed yolk and what do I do?

What do you mean about the air sac? I thought this guy was out of the shell
He is out of the shell, but when I looked where he was the membrane covering the air sack is still intact. He also pipped super duper early. I helped him today because he had been three days since the first pip and instead of making the normal noises I noticed that they got softer and started rocking less. This baby had been rocking for the last week every time I talk to the eggs, when he stopped it was strange so I helped open up from the original pip to get him out.

That is an unabsorbed yolk sac. I would sterilize your hands thoroughly, and set the duckling in a cup, lined with dry paper towels, not wet, in the incubator. Keep the humidity in the incubator around 75%, and leave her be until it absorbs the rest of the way. Everything must be kept sterile as birds with unabsorbed yolk sac tend to suffer bacterial infections (Omphalitis) due to the exposed tissue/ and yolk. Even if the duckling absorbs the sack, it's likely she'll be weak thereafter and may have a hard time thriving.

1606515134281.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...l-poultry.72886/#lg=attachment1146583&slide=0

He will be ok in the incubator. Try to put him in a cup or container. He probably needs more time. What day are your eggs? Good luck with him.
They are day 29 but he pipped day 25 or 26. They are swedishxwelsh harlequin ducklings if that helps.

That is an unabsorbed yolk sac. I would sterilize your hands thoroughly, and set the duckling in a cup, lined with dry paper towels, not wet, in the incubator. Keep the humidity in the incubator around 75%, and leave her be until it absorbs the rest of the way. Everything must be kept sterile as birds with unabsorbed yolk sac tend to suffer bacterial infections (Omphalitis) due to the exposed tissue/ and yolk. Even if the duckling absorbs the sack, it's likely she'll be weak thereafter and may have a hard time thriving.

View attachment 2427596
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...l-poultry.72886/#lg=attachment1146583&slide=0
I have been using sterile gloves when handling, or at least washing really well before hand. I will try to get the bitty in a styrofoam bowl because my cups won’t fit in the bator. The humidity is almost 80 percent already because I was told that’s what duckling need. Also, the temps is 37.5, it was only 36.5 to 37 for all but the last four days. My ducks are pets anyway so I’m fine with a problem duck, (my rescue is blind) her one foot is a bit scrunched up too so if she survives I understand there will be special needs. Should I give anti biotics? I have penicillin, but I hate giving that unless I really need to.

80% humidity is OK. I wouldn't give a duckling this young antibiotics. Just try to keep her area as sterile as possible. If she does absorb the sac, focus on getting her to eat mashed scrambled eggs, and maybe a poultry vitamin.

80% humidity is OK. I wouldn't give a duckling this young antibiotics. Just try to keep her area as sterile as possible. If she does absorb the sac, focus on getting her to eat mashed scrambled eggs, and maybe a poultry vitamin.
This morning I don’t see any more yolk. And another baby hatched and is snuggling her. It’s hard to tell which is which at the moment, but I’m pretty sure that it’s the super weak one (haven’t opened the bator yet) I will give a little molasses for a quick boost and scrambled eggs. Would duck or chickens yolk be better? I have both.

This morning I don’t see any more yolk. And another baby hatched and is snuggling her. It’s hard to tell which is which at the moment, but I’m pretty sure that it’s the super weak one (haven’t opened the bator yet) I will give a little molasses for a quick boost and scrambled eggs. Would duck or chickens yolk be better? I have both.

Either one would work, but since she's so young it's unlikely she will be to opt to eat, so avoid pushing the food at her too much. In regards to the molasses, that would be good, but just as the feed she may not want to drink much. Avoid putting too much molasses on her bill, as due to the thick nature of the liquid, she can aspirate on it easily. That applies to any liquid for that matter, just higher emphasis with molasses.

Back
Top Bottom