Is this just the first egg and will it get MUCH bigger overtime?

Jul 16, 2020
Minnesota
Hi, so one of my newer pullets I’ve had for a few weeks now along with another hen, seems to have just laid her first egg I’m assuming. It’s very VERY small haha! It’s smaller than a pigeon egg. At first, I almost thought it was a young cockerel soon to be rooster because her hackle feathers were more skinny almost like a rooster, but now maybe I’m not too worried about that! So the question I’ve gotta ask is, is everyone’s pullets’ first egg this small? Haha. I think this pullet my father got from an Amish farm is a hybrid of some sort, it looks like a close-mix between a RI Red and as NH Red. I’m just glad it’s a female though. Don’t wanna deal with anymore roosters 🤯. The photos below I compared the tiny egg to my Sapphire Gem’s large eggs and also a pigeon egg! It’s still smaller than a pigeon egg, that’s crazy! I hope they get much bigger within 2 months haha!
87A583F8-1E67-4B77-9910-2CA2070F001A.jpeg
645D4413-D1DF-4C22-A1E6-569D0FB02F81.jpeg
57C7B5EE-AD60-4237-819E-37A9C8A4FDBD.jpeg

Hi, so one of my newer pullets I’ve had for a few weeks now along with another hen, seems to have just laid her first egg I’m assuming. It’s very VERY small haha! It’s smaller than a pigeon egg. At first, I almost thought it was a young cockerel soon to be rooster because her hackle feathers were more skinny almost like a rooster, but now maybe I’m not too worried about that! So the question I’ve gotta ask is, is everyone’s pullets’ first egg this small? Haha. I think this pullet my father got from an Amish farm is a hybrid of some sort, it looks like a close-mix between a RI Red and as NH Red. I’m just glad it’s a female though. Don’t wanna deal with anymore roosters 🤯. The photos below I compared the tiny egg to my Sapphire Gem’s large eggs and also a pigeon egg! It’s still smaller than a pigeon egg, that’s crazy! I hope they get much bigger within 2 months haha!
View attachment 2765336View attachment 2765337View attachment 2765338

Do the small eggs have yolks?
Yes those white eggs are already at their biggest sizes as the hens are small, kinda like a bantam size. They’re the flighty types of chickens with colors of the Junglefowl roosters and hens. Their eggs are just a little bigger than pigeon eggs. As for the tiny pullet egg, it had no yolk at all, just a small smudge of black stuff and egg white.

Quick update: I haven’t seen any of these tiny brown eggs ever since this one haha. They’re all always fighting for the same nestbox so maybe it may have been crushed or the pullet just found another secret spot to lay.

Attachments

• DBE93D7E-0D69-48DD-A411-BEFAA65B86B5.jpeg
    DBE93D7E-0D69-48DD-A411-BEFAA65B86B5.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 8
Update on the pullet. Her eggs have become a medium egg, the same size as her red-sexlink hen mate. So her pullet eggs were only once or twice, but now it’s gotten to a good size. And I’m sure they’ll get slightly bigger! Thanks for everything anyways!

Back
Top Bottom