Is this lice??

kukupecpec

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
So I noticed this under the chin of one of my juvenile birds yesterday. I checked every bird on their way out of the coop this morning and all 4 of my BLRW have this same thing under their chin. I was wondering if this is lice? I can't find any of the live bugs on any of the four. I thought it was strange that it was ONLY the BLRW, and that it hit all of them. They don't even really hang out together, they all have their own friends and roost with different "cliques" lol.

It's ONLY under their chins, I checked them all over and the white "eggs" don't even go past what you can see in the pictures, they stop once the feathers get long.

I've read that coconut oil will remove lice eggs from feathers/feather shafts. The eggs normally hatch in about 7-14 days after they are deposited. If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the coconut oil and get busy removing the eggs before they hatch. Once you're done, use sevin dust to dust your birds and the inside of their coop and nests as well.

Last edited:
Gross! lol
thanks! I wanted to make sure before I started treating.
Can DE be used in place of Sevin dust? I have TONS of DE already and it would save me a trip - since I always have coconut oil on hand =)

Gross! lol
thanks! I wanted to make sure before I started treating.
Can DE be used in place of Sevin dust? I have TONS of DE already and it would save me a trip - since I always have coconut oil on hand =)
DE is not usually effective as a treatment; only as a preventative measure. You could try it, but Sevin would be more likely to work.

I use Eprinex for bugs on my chickens. You can buy it at Tractor Supply. There is no egg laying time withdrawal. The exact dose is somewhere on this site. I am sure that someone can point it out to you.

You just drop the required number of drops directly on the skin under the wing where there are no feathers.

hey I got everybody bathed and separated into pens, dusted the coop with Sevin (will actually clean tomorrow - it's raining now and can't clean after dark, too many mosquitoes)
I wondered if there was anything wrong with plucking the feathers that have the eggs on them (at least the ones I can find/see)?
I'm not able to scrub the eggs off without taking the whole feather. For the most part it is just under their chins - the restof their bodies looked egg-less while I was blow drying.

Back
Top Bottom