Is this little Scissor face a Roo? Best timing to trade out if so?

encouraging to hear! how severe is your bird's cross beak?
This is her, 12 weeks old. I belong to a group on Facebook for crossbeaks and lots of people have had their crossbeak babies for years living normal chicken lives, even with very severe crosses. Some torpedo feed or tube feed, others just provide deep dishes. Lots of their crossbeaks live out with the flock, some are loved house pets.
IMG_20230607_091955775_HDR~2.jpg

This is her, 12 weeks old. I belong to a group on Facebook for crossbeaks and lots of people have had their crossbeak babies for years living normal chicken lives, even with very severe crosses. Some torpedo feed or tube feed, others just provide deep dishes. Lots of their crossbeaks live out with the flock, some are loved house pets.
View attachment 3538238
What a cutie! Thanks so much for sharing, this is really helpful.

You'd save yourself alot of time by returning/switching out with the farmer you got it from. Switch for another EE but that's a severe beak issue and unless you have the time to work with that chick, I'd return/change out.
I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

View attachment 3538238
I think this may be a he with that much comb at 12 weeks for a silkie. I also have a buff silkie (almost 10 weeks) that is a cockerel.

I had a EE that was a pullet, but never laid a egg. She was a crossbeak although hers wasnt as sever she lived for almost 2 years without a issue. I had rehomed her along with another chicken due to aggression(they were best friends) she lived 1 year with me one year with my friend and she did great. She never laid a single egg though.

I had a EE that was a pullet, but never laid a egg. She was a crossbeak although hers wasnt as sever she lived for almost 2 years without a issue. I had rehomed her along with another chicken due to aggression(they were best friends) she lived 1 year with me one year with my friend and she did great. She never laid a single egg though.
Interesting! I wonder if low/no laying is related to not being able to eat enough food. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting! I wonder if low/no laying is related to not being able to eat enough food. Thanks for sharing!
Im not sure if laying issue contribute to all of them. Although i have a chick from last year she did have a small scissor beak. And it fixed itself, now its barely noticeable. But her upper part of her beak is curved more. She lays fine

Back
Top Bottom