Is this little Scissor face a Roo? Best timing to trade out if so?

Surfhen

Chirping
Jun 11, 2023
Hi! First post on BYC after many months of reading through the boards. Yipee!

This ~3 week old Easter Egger has worsening scissor beak--which I was planning to stay the course for, give her a fighting chance for as long as she could hang in there--until "Scully" started to act more like a "Mulder." The chick is almost twice the size and weight of other chicks born the same day; has thicker, longer legs; a stubby tail that sticks up; and a posture more akin to a duckling. Also this baby is kind of a jerk. Lots of shoving and chasing the other chicks.

IMG_2386.jpeg IMG_2392.jpeg Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 4.19.02 PM.jpeg

First question:
What's the likelihood this is a Roo? Worth waiting a few more weeks to see, or should I talk with the farmer about swapping out ASAP because...
Second question: ...I really want an EE hen. What's the ideal age to introduce a new chick to the flock before the incumbent hens become rude to a newcomer?

Thank you kindly!

If the chick is bigger than the others it’s doing fine right now. Since it’s not suffering at the moment, I wouldn’t euthanize it unless it starts to decline.
Agreed. The chick seems to be doing fantastic, and there are lots of ways that you research to help a chicken with crossbeak. It's not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom