Is this molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snicholas, Feb 3, 2014.

1. snicholas

snicholas New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi everyone. This is my first time on BYC and I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer. I have 5 Easter eggers and one if them I think is molting but I'm not sure. These hens are 16-18 months old and have been laying eggs for a few months now (4 months actually). We get 4-5 eggs a day (we supplement heat lamps because it has been in the negative digits here in Wasilla Alaska over the winter). I want to make sure it's not something else because I've noticed another one starting to get the same loss of feathers around her back side and we are only getting 3 eggs a day now. I guess it could be the rooster is starting to be more active but I don't know. Some one please take a look.

Thanks

Nick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. snicholas

snicholas New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks Eggcessive, I have seen that BYC post about the molting, but the first one you posted I haven't, it is very interesting. In your experience should I just let it be or should I get something to protect the hens backside?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have made some easy polar fleece hen aprons or saddles by just cutting 2 slits about 2 inches long, then slipping them over the wings. Put them on after they go to roost, and it won't cause a commotion. There are hen aprons fro sale and free patterns when you do a search. They do help until the feathers come back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by