Is this molting?

snicholas

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
Hi everyone. This is my first time on BYC and I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer. I have 5 Easter eggers and one if them I think is molting but I'm not sure. These hens are 16-18 months old and have been laying eggs for a few months now (4 months actually). We get 4-5 eggs a day (we supplement heat lamps because it has been in the negative digits here in Wasilla Alaska over the winter). I want to make sure it's not something else because I've noticed another one starting to get the same loss of feathers around her back side and we are only getting 3 eggs a day now. I guess it could be the rooster is starting to be more active but I don't know. Some one please take a look.

Thanks

Nick

Thanks Eggcessive, I have seen that BYC post about the molting, but the first one you posted I haven't, it is very interesting. In your experience should I just let it be or should I get something to protect the hens backside?

I have made some easy polar fleece hen aprons or saddles by just cutting 2 slits about 2 inches long, then slipping them over the wings. Put them on after they go to roost, and it won't cause a commotion. There are hen aprons fro sale and free patterns when you do a search. They do help until the feathers come back in.

Back
Top Bottom