Is this normal coyote behavior?

I wish i knew how to find it. I once saw a video of a pack of coyotes trying to lure a dog down away from its person (who was on horseback). They were trying to take advantage of the dog's natural desire to chase an individual coyote. Luckily the dog had a good recall and the rider knew where the coyotes were.
Coyotes hate dogs. Coyotes will try to get the dogs to chase them, draw them in and then kill them, coyotes are very territorial. You can use their "chase behavior" against them in the same fashion. Some folks hunt coyotes using decoy dogs trained to frolic around 1/4 mile in front of the hunter and then return on command. This drives the coyotes mad and the coyotes usually follow into range, especially younger animals. It allows for close shots since the coyotes usually ignore the hunter and are focused on the dogs. For example..

** Don't watch if hunting or killing of coyotes bothers you! **

Nature has its cycles - Coyotes eat Fox, so when the Fox population is high - coyotes will increase their population by hunting Foxes. When the Fox population drops too low, the Coyote population will start to decrease. This will allow the Fox population to increase again. When Fox population reaches it apex for the area, the Coyote population will start to rise again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Nature has its cycles - Coyotes eat Fox, so when the Fox population is high - coyotes will increase their population by hunting Foxes. When the Fox population drops too low, the Coyote population will start to decrease. This will allow the Fox population to increase again. When Fox population reaches it apex for the area, the Coyote population will start to rise again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Good info! I've had an insane amount of foxes the past couple years. Not so much the past couple months.

I should have thrown the rabbit population swings into that equation also. Mother Nature is a wondrous equalizer and it is amazing how things are so entwined and dependent on each other.

That looks like a nice dog - too bad its owner is not being a responsible pet owner. Hope you don't have too many other issues with him.

I'm thinking someone is going to lose their hunting privilege!
Don't be too hard on the kid. Hunting coyotes isn't everyone's cup of tea (but I hope he's at least giving you some deer meat!)

That’s sad, Hank probably won’t be around that much longer. The coyotes already know he is there and it looks like they have set their sights on him. Just a matter of time I think:(
That might be a bit much. Both in vilifying the coyotes and giving them that much credit. I mean, I know those eastern coyotes are a bit more aggressive than the western variety, but they also hybridize with dogs (and wolves in the Great Lakes region).

I'm a hunter and a biologist and this is how I look at it: Are the coyotes a problem? Are they actively trying to get into your coop at night? If not, why would you want to "evict them" and risk the new tenants having a taste for chicken?

All good info. Coyotes see other k9's as competition , that's why they kill fox and dogs. And yes they are very smart and amazingly tough for their size. I'm told wolf urine keeps them away, but don't know it this is true.

Back
Top Bottom