is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarletbaby, Aug 2, 2010.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My silkie/chochin rooster has a clear discharge coming out of his nose constantly and he is shaking his head alot. At first i thought it was respiratory infection so i gave him duramycin 10 but he hasnt gotten any better. He doesnt show any other symptoms. He walks around, gets excited for treats, and his poo looks normal. Oh and i dont know if this helps but we got a few chicks and they have developed the head shaking but not the clear discharge. I feel bad cause they are alyways shaking their heads and it seems like it would get annoying. so is this normal?

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Not normal. The only time I saw head shaking was when we had mites. That doesn't explain the discharge... anyone want to weigh in?

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    In addition to the first question, if my chickens have a bacterial infection/ virus, will they eventually get better on their own like humans do or do they have to be treated in order to get better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by