Is this Ocular Marek's?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
So, I'd never heard of Ocular Marek's until just now. I posted a picture of my hen's eye on an unrelated thread for a poultry eye contest :lol: and somebody messaged me saying that my hen has Ocular Marek's. I appreciate their desire to help, so I've been looking into this and reading about it. I would like to hear from experienced folks as well. Here's what my hen's eyes look like (both of them look like this):

1622729051335.png

For context: this is a Silver Laced Orpington that's over a year old. Her eyes have always looked like this, ever since she was a chick. She has never shown any symptoms or had any problems with anything. She can see fine, eats, drinks, poops and does all the usual chicken stuff. She's high in the pecking order - maybe even top, though I can't tell with my chickens - they are very mellow and get along, so I can't figure out who's on top, if there even is a single leader at all. Anyway, the point is, she's healthy, has a normal life, and is well respected by her friends :lol: Very calm and cuddly with people, including children. She was vaccinated for Marek's at hatch. Can vaccinated chickens get Ocular Marek's? Can it be Ocular Marek's if there's nothing else wrong with her at all? And especially if her eyes have always been like this? From what I've read, my personal impression is that she just has weird irises, but now that this has been brought up, I'm getting worried. She's one of my favorites. Please let me know what you guys think!

So, I'd never heard of Ocular Marek's until just now. I posted a picture of my hen's eye on an unrelated thread for a poultry eye contest :lol: and somebody messaged me saying that my hen has Ocular Marek's. I appreciate their desire to help, so I've been looking into this and reading about it. I would like to hear from experienced folks as well. Here's what my hen's eyes look like (both of them look like this):

View attachment 2701554

For context: this is a Silver Laced Orpington that's over a year old. Her eyes have always looked like this, ever since she was a chick. She has never shown any symptoms or had any problems with anything. She can see fine, eats, drinks, poops and does all the usual chicken stuff. She's high in the pecking order - maybe even top, though I can't tell with my chickens - they are very mellow and get along, so I can't figure out who's on top, if there even is a single leader at all. Anyway, the point is, she's healthy, has a normal life, and is well respected by her friends :lol: Very calm and cuddly with people, including children. She was vaccinated for Marek's at hatch. Can vaccinated chickens get Ocular Marek's? Can it be Ocular Marek's if there's nothing else wrong with her at all? And especially if her eyes have always been like this? From what I've read, my personal impression is that she just has weird irises, but now that this has been brought up, I'm getting worried. She's one of my favorites. Please let me know what you guys think!
The eye color might be unusual, but it looks normal NOT diseased. The Marek's eye is described as "pearl" eye. From the pictures I have seen the iris becomes sort of cloudy greyish and the pupil ragged; the hen eventually does not see with the eye.

The eye color might be unusual, but it looks normal NOT diseased. The Marek's eye is described as "pearl" eye. From the pictures I have seen the iris becomes sort of cloudy greyish and the pupil ragged; the hen eventually does not see with the eye.
Thank you! To everyone who has replied for anyone investigating this disease for myself or anyone in the future.

Update: this hen is a year and a half old now and perfectly healthy. Whatever this is, either isn't ocular Marek's, or isn't affecting her health in any way, which is great! Maybe she just has weird irises :D

IMG_8032.jpg

She’s 2+ years old and still doing great! Hatched and raised her first batch of babies this year. Must be just weird irises, because they aren’t affecting her life in any way.
73818877-E004-4645-9053-CD9D7F6EB954.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom