Is this ok? Lots of blood...

Sometimes they are too big for the shell and can't zip it, or they became dried out and couldn't turn to zip all the way around the shell

Had to help this chick a little, now it seems to be getting the hang of it... But is all this blood normal or ok?

And this is why you don't "help" them unless it's a last ditch attempt to save a chick that has taken too long to hatch. Your chick was not ready to hatch yet. A chick ready to hatch does not have this much (or any) blood.

Last edited:
Well a chick I helped didn't have any blood but it still had the yolk out, I was so confused. But it made it!!!!

My personal opinion is to leave them alone, I believe they are able to manage on there own, seeing yolk should be a sign this is not good and he's not ready. There really shouldn't be any reasons for constantly helping since they have been doing this a longer time then any of us. Your really risking a there little lives by interfering like that, that's great that you have managed to get the ones with visible yolk to survive, but then a second questions would be how many haven't??

Something obviously has you questioning yourself because if you have done this several times then you should already know the answer to your question of "does this blood look normal".

You know it doesn't it's clear that it doesn't, so I would think future chances would need to take place. Such as let them do there thing. They got this!!!

We're not yelling at you, just educating. . I'm sorry you feel like we are, that wasn't my intention at all.. I simply just tried to give you my personal opinion...

We all have different ways of handling the moment but we all also need to learn... That's what we are all here to do is to help each other..

Lacrystol I needed your advice last summer and already this year lol

I have had so many problems... chicks dying during lock down.
Finally after the majority of my chicks died and didnt make it out of the egg, I have realized it is the temp and humidity controls that are bad... ugh.

Anyway... just a few days ago I felt I had to start seriously checking eggs. They were a few days over due chick

First time I hatched eggs in egg cartons... gonna always do that from now on.

Anyway... I poked a hole in the top of the last few eggs. Those that I was sure were dead I removed. I had to remove 7 or 8.

I worked on one egg to help that chick out and realized I should have left it alone. The chick was pretty bloody and I layed it down and kept the bottom part of the egg shell on it.

One egg had so much blood I was sure the chick would die. I picked away a lot of the top of the egg . I left it in the incubator anyway. I could not believe it the next morning when there were 3 live chicks up and about and completely dried off.

Hopefully I will not have to be going through this misery again. Replacement thermostats should arrive this week.

Back
Top Bottom