Is this really a hen?

vonchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Madison, Florida
I bought 2 black sex-link chicks at the feed store, both black, one with a white dot on it's head. The one with the dot grew into a beautiful barred cockerel, the solid black one a black pullet. The black one has fought from the day we brought them home at 2 weeks of age, she fights with all of the chickens. The cockerel, on the other hand is a pacifist. We have five other chickens (best guess 1 cockerel and 4 hens) all roughly the same age. At 12 weeks the cockerels started crowing, and the next day the hen did too. She now not only out fights the cockerels, she outcrows them too. She also chases all the chickens. I've read about hens crowing when there are no roosters, but that's not the case here. Is this dominant hen behavior? This is our first time raising chickens, and we're very confused! I've included photos of both the sex-link chickens - they're almost 13 weeks old.

64906_blackbird3.jpg

64906_blackbird1.jpg

Blackbird - hen?

64906_ikbbird_small.jpg

Blackbird and the cockerel TK

OK, I'm not really experienced, but she looks like my black sexlinks. And one of them is just down right nasty - I was going to say "fowl".... Mine doesn't crow, but she thinks she is the boss of all the other chickens!

For 13 weeks I'm going for boy. My sexlinks don't look like that either. BUT... I may be wrong.
hmm.png

this is one of my black sexlinks as a baby, just about 2 days old

older...

all grown up

hope this helps!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom