Is this really a white leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brummie, Sep 23, 2013.

1. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    I was told it's a leghorn when I bought it and she looks like a leghorn, with the long standing tail and long slim body figure. It is approx 17 or 18 weeks old. But it seems to be seriously under developed. I mean leghorns are supposed to even start laying at this age, but mine still has a tiny comb and almost no wattles. Could it be other than a white leghorn?

thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Bodee

Bodee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Does she act fighty ?

3. brummie

Aug 30, 2013
    Yes she is fairly flighty, nervous, scares easily and not the easiest bird to tame.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a Leghorn to me. My Brown one was the same way.

5. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Looks just like my 14 week old leghorns. I see the Ancona in the background, have a couple of those too.

6. brummie

Aug 30, 2013
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its looks like a White Leghorn pullet to me. The body shape fits a White Leghorn, and the earlobes appear to be white. I do think that she is younger than 17 weeks though.

8. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Ahh cool. I thought it was an Ancona but Exchequer did cross my mind. The Leghorn does look exactly like mine.

9. brummie

Aug 30, 2013
    When I bought her, I was told she is about 15 or 16 weeks old. That was 5 weeks ago. Back then I estimated her to be more likely 14 weeks old. She should be atleast 20 weeks by now, but i'm knocking a couple of weeks off, estimating her at 17-18 weeks. She has not grown much in the past 5 weeks. She is slightly bigger now than when I first bought her. But my other chicks (exchequer roo, RIR roo and pullet, welsummer pullet) that were smaller than her and atleast 3 or 4 weeks younger than her have grown bigger than her (I know they are bigger breeds/males).

I really do not think she is 14 weeks old. She has to be atleast 17 weeks. I'm just wondering if leghorn wattles and combs sometimes develop very slow even by this age?

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    she looks leghorn and I think the likely answer is the age was a bit off in the first place. Just don't obsess about her age anymore and she will start laying in several weeks. She is not close to laying point- comb/face not even red yet.

as for comb size, it varies between lines. some lines girls get huge combs, some lines they stay small even in full lay.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by