Is this splash ameraucana "pure"?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I had to replace my rooster last spring and picked up a "splash ameraucana" from someone who was relocating and couldn't take him with them. He seemed to me to meet all the requirements: pea comb, slate legs, white soles, etc. He also had a great temperament and was instantly beloved. He stayed with my hens for about a month. We had a hawk attack and he died on the roost later that night (I assume from internal injuries from fighting off the hawk since I couldn't find anything outwardly wrong). My blue ameraucana hen (from cackle- not an easter egger) went broody and hatched out 3 of her eggs and 2 of my barred rocks eggs (making sex links). Her 3 eggs resulted in 2 splash pullets and a splash cockeral. My sex links started laying first and lay nice green eggs. My 2 splash girls just started laying this past week and I noticed their eggs aren't a pure blue, more of a teal. They're pretty eggs but it caught me by surprise. Should I assume they're not pure ameraucanas/ my rooster wasn't as pure as I thought? Can you guys take a look and let me know what ya'll think?

first bunch of photos are the "babies" and the last 2 are the parent stock.
20210928_175147.jpg
SmartSelect_20220322-221021_Gallery.jpg

20220321_175705.jpg
20220221_113558.jpg
20210802_163549.jpg
20210711_111948.jpg

20220317_131634.jpg

For reference, my barred rock egg on the left, sex link pullet egg on top, delaware egg on the right, and new ameraucana pullet egg on the bottom.

Here's a slightly better photo. He's sort of splashy but gosh they're dirty.
20220323_162311.jpg

Splash is a dilution of black, yes.

But just like a black bird can have leakage of other colors (example: Black Sexlink hens), so can a splash bird. They are pure for the splash gene (aka blue gene), but might not be pure for the other genes that make a nice-looking splash bird without leakage of other colors.
Okay I get that. They aren't leaky for red or gold, just covered in red clay from dust bathing and the hens are particularly bad from mating. It might not translate well in the photos but trust me, they're just dirty.

Okay I get that. They aren't leaky for red or gold, just covered in red clay from dust bathing and the hens are particularly bad from mating. It might not translate well in the photos but trust me, they're just dirty.
I'm not good at telling dirty birds from birds with color leakage, but I'm quite willing to take your word for it. I was just responding to the genetic point.

I'm seeing gold tints and brown tints in both the father rooster and the offspring. So I think that rooster was either not a pure Ameraucana, which is most likely, or perhaps he's just impure for color. Nice looking birds, though.

I'm seeing gold tints and brown tints in both the father rooster and the offspring. So I think that rooster was either not a pure Ameraucana, which is most likely, or perhaps he's just impure for color. Nice looking birds, though.
I live on a newly developing, very sloped, lot so the brown is actually clay/dirt. He's not well splashed but he's also still growing in his adult plumage and I assume with get more splashes in the next few months. The 3 babies are mostly light colored with some grey splashes mixed in.

Can a bird be impure for splash? Splash is a dilution of the dominant black gene right? My hens are without any doubt blue and the rooster was splash so would any other distant genes be able to phenotypically display in the offspring?

Back
Top Bottom