Is this spraddle leg?

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
This little one was born 9:00 pm last night (Wed the 10th) and needed a bit of help getting detached from the shell with one wing. Noticed the leg issue while it was in the incubator. It was dragging the leg behind and could only slide around the incubator. Used the bandaide method to try to correct. It’s only been about 24 hours - he doesn’t drag the leg anymore and sits/lays with it under him now…but I just want to be sure it is spraddle leg and that I did the bandaide correctly. I haven’t done this before. I have a video, but it won’t upload…sorry…not very techy. I really just want to be sure I have helped this guy as much as possible. He is still having trouble standing and not really walking. I have been giving water ever few hours and gave vitamins/electrolytes too. Tomorrow I will try to get him to eat soft food. He really seems well otherwise. I have also had him stand in a cup for a few minutes a couple times today… Trying to strengthen his legs so he can stand without toppling over and walk. Is his progress (or lack thereof) normal? I mean, does this take a while? Is the bandaide enough or should it be something thicker to help provide balance? Will keep trying with the video…and Any advice to help him is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0965.jpeg
    IMG_0965.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 11
Looks like curled toes to me. Get rid of the bandaid and use the cup method.
I can’t find any youtube videos about the ’cup method’, Can you send me something so I know what to do? I see where you should tape the toes down onto cardboard And those videos, but that’s it. Thank you.

I can’t find any youtube videos about the ’cup method’, Can you send me something so I know what to do? I see where you should tape the toes down onto cardboard And those videos, but that’s it. Thank you.
Get a container small enough that the poult can't get on its back and tall enough that it can't get out. Fold a paper towel and put it in the bottom of the container. Put the poult in the container. It usually takes about 24 to 48 hours for the poult to get strong enough to stand on its own. It works best if you do it while the poult is still in the incubator/hatcher.

Your poult has severely curled toes and may need "shoes". Curled toes can happen by not letting the poult kicks its way out of the shell when assisting.

Back when I needed to put shoes on, I would put a piece of tape on the bottom of the foot and fold it over the top of the foot from the front.

Get a container small enough that the poult can't get on its back and tall enough that it can't get out. Fold a paper towel and put it in the bottom of the container. Put the poult in the container. It usually takes about 24 to 48 hours for the poult to get strong enough to stand on its own. It works best if you do it while the poult is still in the incubator/hatcher.

Your poult has severely curled toes and may need "shoes". Curled toes can happen by not letting the poult kicks its way out of the shell when assisting.

Back when I needed to put shoes on, I would put a piece of tape on the bottom of the foot and fold it over the top of the foot from the front.
Ok… I understand. He’s been about a day and a half out of the incubator. Can I put him in the cup with the shoes on? Is the idea of the cup…so that he can touch the ground and keep pushing up? And then would syringe feeding him for the 24 hours to be the best thing? If so, do you know how often?

Last edited:
Ok… I understand. He’s been about a day and a half out of the incubator. Can I put him in the cup with the shoes on? And then would syringe feeding him for the 24 hours to be the best thing? If so, do you know how often?
I wouldn't put the shoes on until it's out of the cup. Being in the cup may help the feet too.

Back
Top Bottom