is this survivable? (gross image)

roolbg

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Tried adding our younger buff Orpington to the 2 hybrids, pecking ensued and I separated the buff out again.

Checking her today after a couple of days she has a severe wound to the back of the head. She's clucking about fine, it doesn't smell or look too gross around the edges, but oh my, its a hole.

My first thought was this going to be terminal and I was planning to euthanise. Is that a rash move or is this survivable?

I would not euthanize based on the injury. If she's drinking and eating water and acting normal she'll be okay. Get some betadine medical scrub and wash the area, watch the area as it heals to be sure no festhera grow inward or towards it and if they do just clip them. It's not deep but it is open so just keep it clean and I wouldn't even wrap it. The air will help heal it

Appreciate the quick response, it might not be clear from the image but its very deep. I appreciate not much muscle but the skin is completely gone and underlying structures visible (ie looks like tissues intact around the spine)

Absolutely. If it's viable. Keep it clean and unwrapped. The spot where it's at she can't peck but just make sure she dosnt scratch at it with her feet. It should heal on its own. Make sure she's getting a high protein feed like some unmediated chick starter

Is a vet a possibility? That is a pretty deep wound that probably first should be cleaned and irrigated with betadine or Vetericyn the first time. Be sure to get it as far down and around the wound as possible. Rinse with saline or water. Then I would put Neosporin ointment liberally over the whole wound, and reapply twice a day. You could hang a little handkerchief around it to keep it clean, or leave it open. Watch for signs of infection (purulent drainage, foul smell,increased swelling) and treat her with an antibiotic. Gallimycin or amoxicillin would be good, but your vet can give better ones. Keep her inside and separated until the skin closes. Note any green color that may be bruising.

Back
Top Bottom