Is this tiny thing REALLY going to grow up to be my biggest chicken?!?

macmama

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Gilbert AZ
I have 2-week-old SLWs, Delawares, and LBs. The LBs are ITTY BITTY! They look so pathetic! They are round and fat and great foragers, but they are SO much smaller than the SLWs, and definitely smaller than my Delawares! If I hadn't seen the breeding stock I would have sworn I got some sort of banty Brahma.
hu.gif
Is this normal? When do they start to get bigger?

Here's a pic of a few of my chicks-- of the trio in the middle, from top to bottom, they are a SLW, tiny LB, and Delaware
53685_img_4019.jpg

They are only 1 day younger! And they hatched the same day as the Delawares. I hatched the SLWs with my broody, then 2 days later I went to pick up the Delawares and LBs at the same breeder's house, and was told that they were 1 day old. (she does a big hatch in an incubator) So at the VERY most they are almost 2 days younger.

She doesn't have any! I went out back and saw all of her breeding pens, and her LBs were huge! The only chicks she had available that could have been mixed up (same color) were sex-links and Delawares, but no other feather-footed chicks. They are feathering out like LBs, and they have feathered legs... they're just so tiny!

Back
Top Bottom