1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this too much comb at 8 weeks for a female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lobzi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic from back side
    [​IMG]
    No tail feathers which I think is strange. This is a very slow feathering bird.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The pic isn't great for the comb, can you try another?
    Overall, I'd say cockerel.

3. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Agree looks like cockerel.

4. Lobzi

I agree but its mannerisms have been so female like until recently. I think I noticed him trying to mount another.
    [​IMG]

I m pretty sure it is part Australorp but it has this white freckling on its chest. Im wondering if it is part white leghorn. I have one white hen but Im pretty sure there is leghorn in the genetics of the flock. Plus he is so slender and tends to stand upright.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh yeah, that's a boy. The comb looks like a rosecomb or peacomb, do you have any breeds with those combs?

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cockerel

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's a little boy. Girls with pea combs don't have that much comb at 8 weeks. Plus the stance is a give-away. :D

8. Lobzi

Well he will be a sweet boy to me...a little challenging with the others which he has already proven. Yes, peacombs for sure in the yard. He already like to have his little comb rubbed. The boy he is replacing loved to have his comb caressed. Chickie was a great asset to the yard. Im hoping to raise this little fella to help me out too. I wouldnt have minded if it was a girl but I really wanted a boy.

9. Lobzi

Oh and here is his three week younger little buddy Petey. I always thought a boy due to its bold mannerisms since hatch but now Im wondering. He is 6 weeks old in this pic.
    [​IMG]

10. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I agree that your first pictured fellow is a fellow, for sure. However, Petey looks like a pullet to me. Cute babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by