Is this true??

When I was growing up,my dad housed layers.The first ones I remember us having were chicks that had to be brooded and they were red chickens so I would think RIR but could be wrong.Later he was able to get "started"chickens and they were white so I think leghorn.These chickens lived inside a chicken house but were never caged.There were rows of 2 or 3 hole wooden nest boxes that had a hinged top to open to gather eggs.
Where I live you can buy brown eggs in the grocery store.Some are labeled "cage free" and some organic.They cost from about $3.25 to over $4.00.None of those have any taste.I'm told from my customers that I have the best eggs and none of mine are white.
I like the sound of few white eggs as in the UK because I hate the life of the poor production chickens.

For years I preferred brown because they seemed fresher, more color in the yolk, yolk stood up better, etc. I believed the brown ones had a harder, stronger shell, so stayed fresh longer. Bought some cheap grocery store white eggs in recent weeks, and it's evident that mine have harder, thicker shells. My Leghorn's shells are certainly harder than cheap store bought, but do seem easier to break than my brown ones. Now that I'm much more familiar with the contributing factors, I still tend to think brown protects the contents better.

I didn't realize England (and Europe, I assume) sold mostly brown. Makes one think about their selling them off the shelf instead of refrigerated.

My husband prefers brown eggs to white eggs, store bought that is. Walmart sells brown eggs for about 50 cents more a dozen than the white, so we go there once a week or so to buy brown eggs. The other stores either don't carry brown eggs or sell them for over a $1 more a dozen.

The brown eggs seem to be a bit fresher, and the yolk color seems to be better. Could all be in my head, but my mind holds a powerful influence over me.
wink.png

I think this stems from how we were raised. Hubby had an aunt and uncle who raised their own eggs on their dairy farm, my aunt would give us farmfresh eggs occationally. Both were free-range brown eggs. Hubby spend occational weekends at the aunt and uncles farm, so he got brown eggs in the morning to go with the fresh air, sunshine and good ole country excercise that he didn't get in the city. I think the memory of how good everything tasted when he was busy playing on the farm all day is what makes brown eggs better.

Egg shell color doesn't make a difference with me other than I think the brown/green/blue ones are prettier... The cheap eggs at the store are white - but those are yucky (and nothing to do with the color of their shell). If I was starting a flock from scratch I think I'd have a white/cream egg layer or two, just for contrast. AND of course one or two of those super dark brown egg layers... and of course regular brown, light brown, and the mandatory EEs (gotta have my green and blue)... *sigh*
big_smile.png

I went to Switzerland about 6 months ago and the eggs they sold had an almost orange yolk. Nothing yellow about it. I had a hard time eating it because of it's color. I understood the vibrant yolk color was that color because of their diet, probably lots of greens being that Switerland is basically a country of green hillsides and mountain flowers, however it was not the norm for me so I had a little hesitation. My mom and dad will only eat the white eggs from my leghorns. They grew up with white eggs in the Safeway Stores and are sticking with that. I eat the brown eggs because it reminds me of when I was little and used to go visit my grandpa and grandmas farm every summer and saw the brown eggs.

I think it also depends on what part of the country you grew up in. In the northeast, all the stores carried brown eggs. They only had white eggs around Easter time for coloring eggs. I still remember the jingle for the egg commercials. It was: brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh!
wink.png

Growing up in Michigan brown eggs were cheaper than white eggs. But my family always thought the brown eggs tasted better. Now I live in Virginia and there no price difference. Just guess its where your from and what your used too.

I personally think an egg is an egg. However my father-in-law says eggs aren't supposed to be white! I'm assuming all he ate growing up were brown eggs. Good thing I've got brown layers...

Quote:
This.
Beached flour and white eggs. "The farm" was where a lot of folks wanted to escape from, and wanted to prove they were more modern than the folks back home. Then for a while, they were all that were available in the stores.

My mom told me that her grandparents (who were immigrants from rural Ireland) refused to eat brown eggs. To them white eggs meant that they had made it in the big city.

Back
Top Bottom