Is this weird?

christall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Northwest Washington
We have 6 chickens and have been anxiously waiting that first egg. When my daughter and I went out to their house this morning we were greeted with not 1, not 2, but THREE eggs.
104320_pics_from_the_phones_1544.jpg

Is that weird that they would all start laying on the same day? We check their nest boxes a few times a day. They weren't there last night when we put the girls to bed...

The two (tiny) brown eggs are from our silver-laced wyandottes and the green egg is from one of the easter eggers (if only we could figure out who!). It was SO exciting to see them this morning and I wish I would have taken a picture of the brown eggs with a quarter for scale - they are THE tiniest eggs ever. They were the approx the same size as the quarter (as tall - but not as wide - and SO very cute).

Christall

Thanks Debs - I was beside myself with excitement... seriously, you would have thought I won the lottery!
Of course there were many eye-rolls from the 10-year-old daughter... but she certainly was happy to eat them...

Quote:
Congrats on your first eggs! I imagine it is highly unlikely they would decide to lay their first egg on the same day like that.

Out of 9 hens, we had our first hen lay about 3-4 weeks before any of the others, and several days to weeks between those that came after. We are still waiting on 4 of our hens to start laying, now 51 days after our very first egg.

How old are your Silver Laced Wyandottes? We have one in our flock and she hasn't laid any eggs yet, we are eagerly awaiting her to start!

Last edited:
Quote:
So excited for you! We started finding eggs pretty soon after we found the first one, but later discovered eggs elsewhere on the property, so Manning has a point - you might search anywhere your babies have access too just in case they left any surprises! It seems like when they first started laying, they weren't really sure where they wanted to do it, and it took ours a while to decide the indoor nest boxes were much nicer than the old raggedy ones outside in the open barn, piles of brush out in the yard, and on the roost. Although occasionally, if I leave them in the coop too long with the turkeys, I will find one on the floor, whether it is a victim of egg-soccer or someone not able to get to the nest box, I don't know.

Congratulations on your eggs! After nearly 3mos. I still get thrilled when I gather ours, so tell your daughter to get used to it, lol.

clap.gif

I think it is possible that 3 started laying on the same day. Out of my 4 new girls, all hatched on the same day, 3 started laying within a couple of days of each other. The 4th started a week after that.

Quote:
Certainly possible, just think it was exceedingly lucky (and I imagine extremely exciting!) for that to happen on the exact same day, especially with different breeds. Out of 9 hens all with the same hatch day we have yet to have any of our start laying on the same day, first eggs have been days, weeks and even months apart from one another.

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to look around their run/yard to see if you have any surprises. I know we had 3-4 eggs outside the nest boxes especially the first eggs.

I've had two to start on the same day. I think of it as "great minds think alike." Congratulations on your eggs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom