Is this what "shrink-wrapped" looks like?

Pogmobum- thanks to you, too! :) Sounds like the general consensus is, don't help. I just didn't know if it was like humans where, once the membrane is broken they have to come out w/in a length of time..

Ooookay.. THANKS so much Miss Lydia! So even if they're shrink-wrapped, it's not necessarily a bad ending? I have no problem whatsoever NOT helping anymore. I'm relieved, actually, because I always hear you can hit a vein, etc. He is chirping and seems fine, just hard to tell how well he's pecking but we will see. I will be patient! Just needed to be "talked down," LOL! So the rubbery shell membrane sounds right? I guess their sharp little tooth will rip that away? I really don't know how much more humid I could get it in there, so...
I know sometimes people use paper towels that are wet but wrung out and wrap the egg in it but i have never done this so wouldn't want to tell you to do something like that. I'll see if i can find a pic of a shrink wrapped compared to normal egg hatching.

I know sometimes people use paper towels that are wet but wrung out and wrap the egg in it but i have never done this so wouldn't want to tell you to do something like that. I'll see if i can find a pic of a shrink wrapped compared to normal egg hatching.
Well I have been all over the internet looking for pics so we could see the difference in shrink wrap versus normal, and I can't find anything. I will say when i was helping my duckling I did use warm water to misted her membrane it was so dried out, but was very careful not to spray so much there was alot of water in the egg. at one point she actually opened her bill and had a drink of mist. This was on Sunday. Hows your baby doing?

Pogmobum- thanks to you, too! :) Sounds like the general consensus is, don't help. I just didn't know if it was like humans where, once the membrane is broken they have to come out w/in a length of time..
They work on the pipping and then they rest so your going to see this for quiet a while,

You mean the baby that hatched yesterday? He is fanTABULOUS! Very happy and healthy, eating, drinking and cuddling his pillow-mom. LOL.

The visible egg baby appears fine. I have definitely decided membrane is not dry, it's slimy looking when he moves. Only thing is his beak is pointed toward the top of the egg, but I'm trying not to fret bc I usually don't SEE a duckling at this stage to know if that's normal, but I think he's just taking a nap. He is breathing normal and peeping loudly every few minutes. I have one other egg pipped as well as of a few hours ago.. I will NOT be touching that one!

Sometimes they rest just long enough to give you a heart attack until they start chirping at you again, i have heard that whistling or talking encourages them to try harder im going to try it with my next batch i watched a vid and it looks like it really works. Let me know how your goes :)

Thanks for the reassurance, glad I haven't ruined anything.. Yet. ;) I think I'll skip misting for now, I'm a bit I will pour more warm wate on the cloths in there and may do a quick mist then.

Sometimes they rest just long enough to give you a heart attack until they start chirping at you again, i have heard that whistling or talking encourages them to try harder im going to try it with my next batch i watched a vid and it looks like it really works. Let me know how your goes :)
Absolutely. Last year mine hatched outside a bator and it was AMAZING how they responded to taps, whistles, and "duck-duck-duck-duck!!" That's why they hatched so quickly compared to these I believe, and that's what's making me so antsy now haha

Thanks for the reassurance, glad I haven't ruined anything.. Yet.
wink.png
I think I'll skip misting for now, I'm a bit I will pour more warm wate on the cloths in there and may do a quick mist then.
Hoping by morning you have another duckling or 2!!! I saw the pic of your baby it is adorable..
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom