Is this what "shrink-wrapped" looks like?

carcar80

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
GA, US
? I just kept feeling like something wasn't right, so I made the pip larger to see.. I see a lip of membrane there, is he stuck? He is breathing and still moving plenty, but just doesn't seem to be making any progress whatsoever. He also had a piece of membrane across his egg tooth, which I removed gingerly. but he still just seems.. well..

I feel horrible having even made the hole larger bc I'm a firm believer in nature's course, yada yada, but my inner voice just told me to. Yep, that's right, I'm hearing voices now.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! I had read the thread but not all the hatching part- I was just reading bc of the awkwardness that came of it, lol. Well but now I feel horrible for panicking and opening that egg. I was just like Teloka, worried he couldn't breathe thru the membrane and then worried bc I could see something stuck over the egg tooth. Oh well, we will see. Hopefully I've not doomed the baby.
Good morning, is the duckling still peeping strong? and congrats on the rest starting to hatch ..I've been thinking about your lil one all night and was hoping for good news this morning.

My male turkey just attacked my cockeral plz help just went out this min to check on them and his comb is bleeding im also posting other places to get fast help thanks guys

Combs bleed alot, clean him up with soap and water and put somekind of antibiotic ointment on him, just make sure it doesn't contain pain relief.

Yes! Well, I think part of my concern there was that I made his pip a gaping hole and was worried I mess him up. This one made the gaping pip on his own, so.. here's a pic of him. That split around the side is just from the pressure he's put on the egg, he didn't pip there lol.

? I just kept feeling like something wasn't right, so I made the pip larger to see.. I see a lip of membrane there, is he stuck? He is breathing and still moving plenty, but just doesn't seem to be making any progress whatsoever. He also had a piece of membrane across his egg tooth, which I removed gingerly. but he still just seems.. well..

I feel horrible having even made the hole larger bc I'm a firm believer in nature's course, yada yada, but my inner voice just told me to. Yep, that's right, I'm hearing voices now.
hide.gif

Does it look like dried paper? if so it maybe shrink wrapped. membrame should be soft amd pliable.

Umm well no I don't think I would say it looks dry.. not dry dry.. just kinda rubbery? But moist. Should I mist it? Or just stop messing with it altogether.. I mean it can breathe now. That's the main thing, right? I know everything I do to "help" means I have to open the bator. It is raining here now, so that makes me feel better. We are in a "log home" (aka house full o' holes, lol), so whatever the humidity is outside, usually is inside too. ;)

Edit: I WILL say, what does seem dry-ish to me, is the egg membrane. When I was making the pip larger it was really rubbery. But then I remember mine being that way last year too. But then those weren't in a bator with humidity either. Ugh. LOL! I'm crazy!

Last edited:
As long as it can breathe advice is always to leave it, they can take days sometimes. Believe me i know how hard it is when i first started i tried to "save" one and it did not end well. Since then i have successfully saved one that actually was having trouble that made me feel better :)

Umm well no I don't think I would say it looks dry.. not dry dry.. just kinda rubbery? But moist. Should I mist it? Or just stop messing with it altogether.. I mean it can breathe now. That's the main thing, right?
Don't mist when your duckling is right there, since you have gone as far as getting them membrane open so it can breather I'd put it back watch your humidity and don't keep getting it out because that will cause it to shrink wrap. and just watch it takes time for them to hatch and if you were contiue to help you might hit a blood vein and cause bleeding, how is it doing is it pecking at the shell and peeping alot? I have only had to help one duckling in almost 9 yrs and it took from friday till Monday for her to hatch with me just chipping and putting her back under mom then in a few hrs going back and doing it again, believe me it was nerve wracking. she was shrink wrapped.

I see you have been on this thread so ask your questions there, hopefully some of the experienced hatchers will be there to help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594278/thread-formerly-known-as-hatch-day-is-today/37230

Last edited:
Ooookay.. THANKS so much Miss Lydia! So even if they're shrink-wrapped, it's not necessarily a bad ending? I have no problem whatsoever NOT helping anymore. I'm relieved, actually, because I always hear you can hit a vein, etc. He is chirping and seems fine, just hard to tell how well he's pecking but we will see. I will be patient! Just needed to be "talked down," LOL! So the rubbery shell membrane sounds right? I guess their sharp little tooth will rip that away? I really don't know how much more humid I could get it in there, so...

Back
Top Bottom