Is vynil roll flooring really so great for a coop??????

Adhesive? What adhesive?
roll.png

I think since I had to finish with a few smaller pieces, that it won't work the way I have it. I think I'm going to have to yank it out and paint it. I bought remnants in order to not pay for a big piece, but it also means that I can't afford to go back and buy a big piece at this point, and that the smaller pieces are going to let dampness in.

I'm not sure that would be so bad. I think in our very damp climate, even if it were put down round the edges with adhesive, it would still hold dampness in.

That's my guess - a guess which means more work for me. But with the several smaller pieces I had to use, I don't see it cleaning out so easy. I lapped them the 'right' way, and I also slanted the floor 1/8" per foot of flooring, but to tell the truth, I think it really would require more to drain freely. I wanted to be able to slant it in order to strip out all bedding and wash it out every once in a while.

I believe, though, I'll leave it on for a few days more, til we finish the roof. The floor will dry up nice to paint at that point, but if we take it off now, we'll be grinding a lot of dirt into it and making it harder to prep to paint.

Last edited:
I used adhesive to put mine down and it works wonderfully. I got the vinyl flooring at Home Depot, in their clearance area, so it was pretty cheap. They sell the adhesive in the paint section. The stuff is sticky like cotton candy, but really holds it down.

Vinyl flooring:

PROS- very easy to clean
no soggy floors - water lays on top

CONS- VERY slippery for chicks-must use heavy shavings/bedding

We had a cockeral that slipped as he jumped off the roost and twisted his hock, had to put him down he could not walk at all even after splinting.

I LOVE the vinyl lino that I put in my newest coop house i built. I am currently using it to brood ducklings and it's holding up awesomely! and most of you knwo how wet & messy ducklings are! I used outdoor carpet/tile adhesive glue stuff to put it down and it was really hot the day i did it so it went really fast.

An alternative to vinyl would be something like Glasbord, which is an FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panel. It's what they use on back-splashes at restaurants, hospitals, etc. It's got a pebbly texture to it so it's not so slick. It's thicker and very easy to sanitize. It's a popular option on our coops!

~ Nicole

I also thought about vinyl flooring but the floor of my coop is made up of various sizes of plywood thus lots of uneven cracks (using an old shed that came with the house). Thought that over time the uneven boards would cause cracks and tears in the vinyl. Since I will be using pine shavings in the coop, what is your thought about putting heavy plastic down and securing it around the walls then covering it with deep shavings. When cleaning time comes around I should be able to just pull up the edges of the plastic and haul the whole thing out to the compost pile. At least that is what I am hoping for. Agree or disagree?

The new vinyl flooring that is out there is not meant to be glued down. We have ours just laying on the coop floor and it works great. It is not too slippery for the girls. If water happens to spill, it can be easily rolled up in that area to dry out. Makes scooping up chicken poo and wood chips much easier than trying to scoop against wood. You can easily find remants at carpet stores.

Back
Top Bottom