Is your alpha chicken a rooster or a hen?

Is your alpha chicken a rooster or a hen?

• Rooster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hen

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have more than one pen, most alphas are roos

• I have more than one pen, most alphas are hens

• I'm not sure

• Total voters
Rosebud is the queen. Her "lieutenant" Nellie is more aggressive to the other hens (and rooster) but nobody messes with Rosebud. We thought she was going to be a roo so DH named her Terminator. But when we realized she was a hen, he changed it.

My roo runs away and one of the hens always comes over and attacks my feet....
big_smile.png

We had 9 RIR's hens and one night a fox got 7 of them. This year we got a new batch (of different breeds) and the 2 RIR's remaining were really confused about them at first. When we finally integrated the new chicks one of the RIR's had nothing to do with them but the other one wanted to play mother.

After the new chickens got big the 2 RIR hens wanted nothing to do with them and then let it be known that they were king(s) of the coop. One of the RIR hens will come over and DROP KICK the roosters if they look at her the wrong way. Its sooo funny to watch...

She will get a 10 foot running start, jump in the air so her legs are in front of her, and then smash the roosters with all her weight/momentum directed on to them. THEY have no clue what happened and freak out every time.

It also never fails that the youngin's will try to take the RIR's roosting spot in the coop each night. Every night the RIR's give a beat down to whatever roo or hen is in THEIR spot.

Funny thing is both these RIR's are so nice and follow everyone around like they are dogs.

I'm really not sure who is the alpha. I think it's the rooster. Queenie does her own thing, but nobody follows her.
I can tell you the lowest rank is Houdini though.

For a while I thought that Queenie was pretty low ranking among the other pullets, maybe because she's red and the other 3 are white because they seemed like they would have nothing to do with her.
She is buddy buddy with the roo (also a red), somewhat territorial, and pretty independent. Therefore I'm confused as to whether she is independent because she's headstrong, or simply because the others don't want her around
idunno.gif
She's definitely higher ranking than Houdini, but she doesn't seem to pick on anyone, nor do they pick on her very much. She is independent and goes off on her own a lot, but also runs around with the rooster and copies his actions some. She doesn't bully the roo (or anyone) but I'm pretty sure she's top pullet.

One of the white pullets is the bully, either Cracker or Blacky, but I'm not sure which. The three whites hang out together most of the time, but Houdini shies away or gets pecked away from food. They all follow the Rooster though.

No one bullies the rooster, but they also don't bully Queenie much either. Rooster runs the flock, calls the ladies for treats and sounds the alarm and they listen to him, but Queenie kindof beats to her own drum. I love Queenie. She's soft, and pretty, and she's the only pullet that I can walk up to and pick up. Leghorns are too flighty.

Back
Top Bottom