Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

I hope so, too. Be sure to ask about the rooste's personality. Bad roosters will make your life miserable, and they can be dangerous.

My rooster is teeny (he weighs just over 1 lb) and he's terrible. He can really only flap against my ankles. It's not a huge problem for me. Large roosters, however, can do serious physical harm, esp if you have small children.
I was planning to go by and meet the birds in person to see for myself. They (my friend's extra roosters) are meat birds, so they are actually probably pretty big as far as chickens go! lol So yeah, I definitely don't want to get myself into a bad situation, especially since my human children enjoy helping me with the chickens so much!

Last edited:
I was planning to go by and meet the birds in person to see for myself. They are meat birds, so they are actually probably pretty big as far as chickens go! lol So yeah, I definitely don't want to get myself into a bad situation, especially since my human children enjoy helping me with the chickens so much!
Do you mean broilers? Are your chickens meat birds too?

Took me 3 nights of very slowly herding the geese into the barn before they got it and go on their own now. She will likely follow the ducks in (or vice versa).

I love my electric netting so much. It was the best investment for me. I use it for my birds and my goats, and we can move it all over the property. It keeps out predators, too. It isn't cheap, but it's been great. They make non-electric nets, too, which are much less expensive. Cattle panels work well, too. And if you aren't worried about predators, flexible garden netting (the thicker green stuff that looks like honeycomb) with step-in posts is very inexpensive.
oh yeah, predators. A fox took two chickens and a mink just took our drake. So that's why they are all in the enclosure. I like to let the chickens range in the afternoon / evening for a bit while they make their way into the coop for the night, but the other day I saw a hawk or something swoop right down beside the enclosure and check everyone out. So now that has me spooked too.

Yeah, hopefully the birds are all okay, they are LF technically dual purpose. But the rooster could be a bit of a beast lol and then the goose would be gigantic compared to all the rest of the birds! I don't even have big ducks, either, they are like chicken sized.
Is your thinking behind getting the goose that she will deter predators?

Wow. That's pretty bad. I'm having trouble finding my eye roll emojii rn lol
the rock maui GIF

Back
Top Bottom