Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Define funny. I don't think that's it tho.
Screenshot_20230203-092039_Chrome.jpg

Peonies are my favorite! 😍

Ugh, so I still don't know if we should take a rooster. It would mean keeping a rooster in my basement for a month or more. It would mean not getting Marans chicks until that time had passed. It would mean potentially having a mature rooster that much sooner! It would mean the possibility of breeding little meat mutts, however I don't have a great place to grow them out at the moment. It would mean one less fairly limited rooster space available for either an Australorp rooster, or any Marans rooster we might want to keep, (which could be easily remedied once it came down to it), or else getting a man-house set up out there and starting a little rooster collection, which I'm sure the right would love! Haha.

I am really just torn though between keeping everything as lovely as it is, and what I feel like could be inviting various moving parts into the situation. I think we'd need to invest in a first set of netting to put around the enclosure and start introducing him on the perimeter by having him inside the net, but outside the enclosure, so that means selling DH in spending for the net, too. Or else if he's just ranging at first, while the girls are in the pen, is he going to stay close by? Will I be able to grab him ever again??? Lol not being hand raised has its disadvantages I feel like, too.

I guess I was also hoping to hear @ColtHandorf weigh in on just what these hypothetical fascinating little meat-mutts might even look like? The rooster would be a Sasso, which I believe is already like a red barred sex link, and then my existing hens. I made a thread for that elsewhere though. 😉
What's the fault process behind getting a rooster? I mean, were you thinking of having him 1st specific purpose? Based on all you've described, it sounds like right now there would be a lot of work to add him and I'm not sure there's much of a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom