Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK

How do you tell the difference between molting and feather picking? 99% sure it's feather picking, but I'm holding out on the 1% chance my chickens aren't being aholes to each other. And how do I get them to stop?
Definitely feather pecking. Use animal protein unless the feed already has a significant amount in it. The feathers are high in protein so that's what they eat to get it.
A balance of plant and animal protein is the best.

What's the best way to give them more protein?
Can you find a higher protein feed? Like All Flock/Flockraiser or chick starter or something like that? That would probably be the easiest. If not you could maybe try a little bit of tuna, canned cat food, or feed their eggs back to them for now. But I would look into feeding starter or all flock with oyster shell on the side.

How do you tell the difference between molting and feather picking? 99% sure it's feather picking, but I'm holding out on the 1% chance my chickens aren't being aholes to each other. And how do I get them to stop?
I had a pullet (not laying) that feather picked all her hatch mates.... she was the only one that did it... I tried putting her with some older hens to put her in her place and she just carried on picking them :barnie in the end I just sold her on it was driving me nuts

Upping the protein did nothing

Back
Top Bottom