Isbar thread

You know, I'm not positive what one is laying the brown egg, I know its a blue, but not sure which one. Both have a good amount of copper in their hackles though.

Have you checked him for mites?
could they do that? I had some mites here -- but last night couldn't find any when I was holding him - and it is so hard to dig under that fluff to find skin -- but I saw no mites.
If you have ever had any -- how do you get rid of them?

I have bathed the chickens in Adams soap -- and could do that to him -- and blow him dry -- we are just on the verge of warm weather.... any advice?

Quote: If he is itching back there a lot it can damage the feathers that way. It doesn't take many to make him itch, but a few can turn into many rather quickly. Can you get some wood ash? If you don't have a wood burning fireplace or woodstove, try to find a friend who does. Make sure the ash is well cooled. Then put some in a bowl or other container large enough to put your rooster in and dust him all over with them making sure you get them under the feathers as much as you can. Do not try to shake him out, just let the ash stay in him until he shakes it out. You might want to do all of your chickens. Then make them a dust bath of 1 part wood ash, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part sand. Put it in a container big enough for a few of them to get in at a time because dust bathing is a group activity for chickens. I use a concrete mixing tub (Home Depot or Lowes) or the gray plastic bus tubs (Sam's Club or restaurant supply) for mine. They will love it! Then get some Neem Oil and spray their roosts. It is a growth regulator that will keep the mites or lice from developing to adulthood and help break the cycle. It may need to be reapplied every couple of weeks for 3 or 4 applications.

If he is itching back there a lot it can damage the feathers that way. It doesn't take many to make him itch, but a few can turn into many rather quickly. Can you get some wood ash? If you don't have a wood burning fireplace or woodstove, try to find a friend who does. Make sure the ash is well cooled. Then put some in a bowl or other container large enough to put your rooster in and dust him all over with them making sure you get them under the feathers as much as you can. Do not try to shake him out, just let the ash stay in him until he shakes it out. You might want to do all of your chickens. Then make them a dust bath of 1 part wood ash, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part sand. Put it in a container big enough for a few of them to get in at a time because dust bathing is a group activity for chickens. I use a concrete mixing tub (Home Depot or Lowes) or the gray plastic bus tubs (Sam's Club or restaurant supply) for mine. They will love it! Then get some Neem Oil and spray their roosts. It is a growth regulator that will keep the mites or lice from developing to adulthood and help break the cycle. It may need to be reapplied every couple of weeks for 3 or 4 applications.
Thanks KYTinpusher!

Had mites on the rear of one of my Legbars who had wet pox that prevented her swallowing, I don't even know how she lived through it -- she is now laying eggs and being a little hooligan. Lost one to wet pox that prevented her breathing -- The one that survived had a few mites on her vent and I smooshed a handfull of DE into it and rubed around and also under her wings...next day checked her carefully and there were none.

I will be burning some brush really soon -- and my soil is very sandy. His curls just appeared since his molt -- and I think that the process you outlined is exactly what I will do. I have used that 'poultry protector' and it didn't seem to knock them out. Bought some Sevin dust and read what was in it (this was the carbyl kind) so I took it back to the feed store for a refund.

I will up their dust bathing facilities and treat the coops with neem oil.
Thanks!
bow.gif

What a pretty hen, and what a nice photo. If you could get that same pose, with those flowers in the background and the hills/mountains - just in focus (see how her moving leg is blurred -- 'motion blur') -- You should send it in to the BYC Calendar 'contest next fall. -- would love to look at a beautiful black Isbar photo of Isabel for a month in 2017!!

--- One of the charming things about the photo is the quality of light -- and that same soft light makes it more difficult for the camera to catch her image sharply...(and chickens are so so so hard to photograph) --
old.gif

Love your pic and love your Isbar.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom