ISO show quality silkies, willing to travel

Thogersen Farm

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Arlington, WA
Washington state- I’m looking for show quality bearded silkies to start my own herd. I have other fowl herds but I’m really wanting to take it a step further and separate my breeds and start breeding to show and beyond. I need good stock to start my silkie herd and figured someone might have a couple hens and/or a rooster for sale. Please message me at 360-929-9808.

Looking for white, buff, blue, grey, black. Bearded. Willing to purchase hatching eggs as well.

Washington state- I’m looking for show quality bearded silkies to start my own herd. I have other fowl herds but I’m really wanting to take it a step further and separate my breeds and start breeding to show and beyond. I need good stock to start my silkie herd and figured someone might have a couple hens and/or a rooster for sale. Please message me at 360-929-9808.

Looking for white, buff, blue, grey, black. Bearded. Willing to purchase hatching eggs as well.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I'm at the CA/OR border on the coast... and breed/raise BBS bearded Silkies. However I am trying to focus on paint and self blue/lavender just having a harder time finding the Lav. But I like the rarity.

Anyways I will give what disclosure I have regarding my flock.

I have NEVER shown birds. I have however worked hard to attain quality stock, which still has some room for improvement on certain aspects. I also know that even true award winning show quality birds will not produce all show quality offspring. In all the hatches you have to choose the best of the best and do something with the rest. That may be only 1 or 2 birds. :confused:

None of my Silkie's are hatchery stock and ALL are bearded. I cull parent stock for things like split wing, comb color or sprigs, to many or few toes.. that type of thing. In other words I refuse to breed inferior birds, noting that none seem to be absolutely PERFECT. Some of my crests are a little larger than I like and some smaller, I'm looking to always improve. Though the huge crests look amazing they are an absolute handicap to the bird IMO. Every single one of my gals has gone broody, some excessively so. I hope to find a happy medium with that as well.

I am just doing this as a hobby and enjoy sharing my joy with other enthusiast. I am not NPIP certified and therefor also don't ship but extremely passionate about what I do. I do charge since hatching and raising isn't free. I don't let my ladies hatch chicks that will be for sale as I feel it isn't right to take them away! I hatch any chicks I will be selling inside the incubator and keep in a brooder in order to maintain some sense of bio security for the chicks new family, even though I realize that some disease CAN pass to the egg and there is no way of knowing if you have those without testing (and never seeing symptom doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

Since I am fairly remote most people do travel a fair distance in order to get birds from me. It's odd to think most are 90+ minutes one way, some 7 hours each way. It makes me feel kinda special, but I figure you get what you give. I ALWAYS ask to let me know if they discover ANY issues because I cannot fix what I don't know. So far... no irate or even dissatisfied people that I know of. I feed all my birds (but specifically because I breed) a higher protein (22-25%) feed free choice, they forage an acre sun up to sun down. And have secure shelter always available. We are chemical free on our property but not organic as far as feed goes. I also sprout during bad weather and raise live meal worms. Plus avoid low nutrient "treats". Breeder birds have been so much stronger than hatchery stock in my experience. Noting of course that NOT all "breeders" are created equal and knowing which questions to ask can really clue you in to their breeding program.

Anyways, sorry I do not have any adult birds available. People are ALWAYS giving away their Silkie cockerels for free. We eat ours. Very few people will part with a hen. I have seen a lady on Oregon Coast Craigslist (near Coquille I think) trying to sell her stock for like $50 per bird, but IMO they aren't a rare color and a little to old to be asking that price. But keep your eye out there, she also raves they are "bobbie porter" line. Meh, I don't care about a little competition. I'm more into helping people find what they want even if it doesn't mean my birds! :)

I keep my boys separate so I can control genetics and diminish any chance of over mating. Long story short, one of my boys (non Silkie) got loose and so I won't be hatching Silkies for about another month so. Waiting for purity again but also dealing with the hens personal schedule.

I'm not 100% sure why... maybe to avoid robo calls, but I personally wouldn't put my contact info out there for all to see. I might request a contact by PM or something like that.

As far as Florida goes, there area a few breeders there that I know of. Will try to get you their usernames when I come across them. Maybe @RubyNala97 if I am remembering correctly?? :jumpy

Hope this was helpful and not a waste of time to read! :pop

Hey, it's a beautiful trip... should you decide to head this way! ;)

We just drove down to Oregon from north Washington to get cages for our rabbits and two livestock guardian dogs... it’s was a 15 hr drive. Talking my husband into it again for a “chicken” is going to take me a little bit. Are you not able to ship eggs or hatchlings? Its a 10+ hr drive to reach California not to mention the drive back

We just drove down to Oregon from north Washington to get cages for our rabbits and two livestock guardian dogs... it’s was a 15 hr drive. Talking my husband into it again for a “chicken” is going to take me a little bit. Are you not able to ship eggs or hatchlings? Its a 10+ hr drive to reach California not to mention the drive back
Completely get it!

No to ship legally you are required to be NPIP certified. We do go to Medford or even coos bay on occasion. Hubby wants to hit Portland but we aren't quite ready to travel yet since he works 5 days per week.

If you aren't able to find what your looking for you can keep me in mind and maybe make a vacation of it. I think the other username I mentioned in FL does ship, but I could be wrong.

I will keep my eyes open and try to let you know if I come across anything that seems suitable for you. :)

I'm at the CA/OR border on the coast... and breed/raise BBS bearded Silkies. However I am trying to focus on paint and self blue/lavender just having a harder time finding the Lav. But I like the rarity.

I am also on the hunt for a few nice quality silkie hens. I can't do another rooster at this point because I'm too soft hearted and can't kill or eat them. (eyes rolling)

We have a small farm (petting zoo) here and I haven't added any silkies in years and am down to one splash roo and hen. Visiting friends are so in awe of the silkies and my niece will be getting married here in August and I'm looking to slightly expand my flock (with color variation). My sister and I make a late Spring run down to Ashland every year and some times make a side trip for a new rabbit or duck from the Northern Cal/Oregon area. If you might have a hen or two available in late May that you could part with, please let me know. I know they don't come cheap. :)

Last edited:
I am also on the hunt for a few nice quality silkie hens. I can't do another rooster at this point because I'm too soft hearted and can't kill or eat them. (eyes rolling)

We have a small farm (petting zoo) here and I haven't added any silkies in years and am down to one splash roo and hen. Visiting friends are so in awe of the silkies and my niece will be getting married here in August and I'm looking to slightly expand my flock (with color variation). My sister and I make a late Spring run down to Ashland every year and some times make a side trip for a new rabbit or duck from the Northern Cal/Oregon area. If you might have a hen or two available in late May that you could part with, please let me know. I know they don't come cheap. :)
I might have some since I do have some growing out right now. :wee

Send me a PM and we can exchange numbers and see if any turn into ladies by the time you visit. We even head to Medford monthly, so we might even be able to meet up and lessen the distance for you. :)

I'm kinda jealous that you have a petting zoo. :love I have soo considered doing it, but scared of the insurance liability..

Back
Top Bottom