TanisGirl

Chirping
Jul 6, 2018
So, I’m hoping to get some real help here with this... I’ve been doing some research on this subject and I can’t seem to get any solid answers. My boyfriend and I moved to Oregon, hoping to set up some property where we can have a little homestead and raise animals -both to enjoy and turn a profit of some sort and aside from alpacas, (obviously) chickens are one of the animals we have chosen. I have a few Silkies, but want to expand and really do something. I’ve noticed that roosters always seem to be in the need for homes -people don’t want them because of noise and aggression. I really hate to see displaced animals. In my research, I’ve come across the notion that there is a growing trend with people not only wanting to know that their food has been raised properly, but apparently the gender as well. I guess due to the females producing a natural growth hormone and males not producing it, they are wanting males for food.
I’ve been trying to find the perfect breed that are both strong layers, a good meat bird, and ornamental with good temperament. That way, no bird “goes to waste” by either being un-sellable, or undesirable because it doesn’t matter what the sex is or risk only being good for “this... or that.”
Does that make sense?
I’d like good layers for egg production, roosters to process when they are of age, and birds that are fun and enjoyable to both look at and interact with.
So far, the Silver Laced Wyandotte SEEMS to be a front-runner. Any thoughts?

You should choose a Speckled Sussex... I'd say they have a lot of what you're looking for; gorgeous looks, great, friendly temperament, very good layers (and lay good in the winter, too!), and are a heavy, dual-purpose breed that's good for meat as well.

If you want a dual purpose hen Speckled Sussex and Rhode Island Reds are the way to go. They produce all year long as well as provide a good amount of meat. Although Silver Wyandotte is also a great breed of chicken.

My Golden laced Wyandottes were gorgeous but lacking in the egg production end of things. We butchered one of the bully hens and found that while she looked like a fatty, she didn't have near as much meat as I expected. But that was a hen, not a rooster. I would look more toward the RIRs, Barred Rocks, and production Reds for ideal duel purpose birds.

You should check out German Bielefelders! They are auto-sexing, free-range well, friendly & docile, lay well 230+ large/extra large eggs a year, are good for dual purpose as the males get 10-12 pounds, etc.

Marans, too, are a great option; large and hefty, cold-hardy in my experience, and plenty of rich brown eggs. Go for something dual-purpose from production lines, as it will be difficult to breed up egg production in a show line. With that said, with any breed you are going to have to work on your stock to enhance the production aspects; breed from your most productive hens, keep your largest cockerels, and keep improving year-on-year.

Delawares are dual purpose. Hens average 4 eggs a week, which is average for a dual purpose bird and on par with my wyandottes. They grow to be fairly large in size and some people raise them for meat instead of eggs. Mine is my largest chicken and definitely outweighs my wyandottes. Since they are dual purpose, you should not have the health problems that a strict meat bird like a cornish X would have and can be more flexible with your butcher dates. They also have a docile temperament overall.

Back
Top Bottom