Issue with Neighbor's Dog - Mostly Venting

I think its just dumb that people let their critters run loose. I am out by a freeway ramp where there is no lights and have drop offs all the time. I have shot a few dog and many cats. I don't need the headache from some moron thinking they "Freeing" their animals. my one neighbor keeps the cats that come to his place to keep the cattle barn free of rats. he has as many as 40 at a time. the barn is 15' from the road edge so everyone in the neighborhood has flatn'd a couple.
as for the old guy standing by the pen to protect your remaining critters he should tossed jail along with his dog. sounds like he is just covering his tracks as best as he can. I have no pity for people being lazy about keeping their animals under control.

When we first moved to this house I had a dog that I couldn't keep tied up. He slipped collars, broke chains, and wouldn't come when called. I only had him about a year before a hobby farmer almost a mile away shot him. I wasn't angry at all, just a little sad I hadn't done right by my pet.

My yard is not fenced, nor can I afford to fence it at this time. My nieghbor's yard is also unfenced. I have 200yds of fence enclosing the chicken run, but I hate keeping my ducks in there with a tiny kiddy pool when there is a small brook along our property border they use to play and swim in. Not to mention BUGS were a key factor in our desision to get birds, and they can't eat them if they can't get to them.

She had offered to pay us the first time and my husband declined (before realizing the extent of the damage). I may remind her of the value of the birds and sugest she put the money into an invisable fence or shock collar.

Larkflying--Sorry for the thread hijacking. I say helping the nieghbor find homes for the pups could be a good thing--God forbid he should keep them
th.gif
Also, coyoties are really only active dusk to dawn (unless rabid) so think of the size of the animal you are really tring to keep out when selecting fencing, if the birds will be safely cooped up at night.

I just wanted to add that little dogs can be quite the terror,and they are sometimes quick to bite people. My ds got nipped in the face as a toddler.You would think that would keep him from touching dogs,but owners are always encouraging the kids to pet their *sweet* little dog. Makes me so frustrated. Any dog on your property that you do not want there should be taken care of one way or another. I understand if a dog got loose one or maybe even 2 times,but after that no excuses are good for me.

Quote:
Totally depends on the size of the dog you're trying to keep in/out. For example, cattle panels will often hold large dogs, while you'll need smaller holes for smaller dogs. I know a few people who use cattle panels when they rent because they're pretty portable, but they wouldn't be a good choice for a large area.
I personally use welded wire fence like you get at TSC, 2x4" holes, 5ft tall, and T-posts every 8ft in my back yard which is pretty big. It's pretty economical for fencing large areas IMO. The kind with twisted wires instead of welds is stronger, but slightly more expensive. We fenced the front yard in 5ft chainlink (coz it looks "better" in the city) that we got used by posting a wanted ad on Craig's list. My Lab mix is tall and a jumper, which is why we went with 5ft, though he's never jumped, climbed or dug out. You can always re-enforce a standard fence with a strand of hot wire at the bottom for diggers and at the top for climbers.
Some dogs are super hard to fence in or out, but having a fence will probably help and will be the best you can do, if dogs still get in you've definitely done your part.

My opinion is 6' for dogs. All my life I have had dogs that can hop right over 6' fences so for me that would be a MINIMUM.

Hope you guys get this figured out the right way!

Last edited:
Loose dogs dissapear all the time, that's the risk of letting your dog run. If your law permits, simply inform your neighbor you will shoot it the next time it puts a foot across the property line. Where I live, I can shoot a dog then contact animal control- who will then contact the owner to let them know they are responsible for removing and disposing of the dog. Or that they can pay for animal controls part in removing and disposal. I would NOT shoot the dog with a paintball gun or paint a target on it or anything like that. As instantly gratifying as that would be, you could end up being charged with animal cruelty. If you can't bring yourself to shoot the mangey dog, keep calling the dog warden. Eventually they will get tired of hearing from you and do something about it. Where I live there is no leash law, but AC takes the harassment of livestock very seriously. They've always been more than happy to make the trip to my house to deal with any problem dogs (and neighbors) I might have. I am thankful everyday we have great AC officers. Good luck- sorry about your irrsponsible neighbor.

Quote:
yeah, I don't have any experience with them, but I imagine they are hard to fence out without going electric and even then they are super-clever! Fortunately, lots of domesticated dogs CAN be contained (or kept out) with a regular fence

Most of the neighbors here have dogs that run loose on their property to guard the livestock, not all LGDs, just dogs that live around other animals. Then a couple of the local pot growers have or had dogs that chase anything that moves. While one of these people was being talded to in my front yard, two of his dogs went after the horses scross the road. Didn't have to use the triple S rule. I shot them while he stood there and watched. We then told him that is what will happen to every dog caught going after livestock. That if he wanted dogs to protect his pot, fine we can live with that. But, we are going to protect our family and our critters. He has replaced his dogs and put up a fence that keeps them in. Only time they have gotten out his niece let them out. He was right on their tails trying to catch them, while his wife called everyone in the area to tell them the dogs got out. It is easier to train an owner than it is to train a dog at times.

Back
Top Bottom