Issue with Neighbor's Dog - Mostly Venting

Quote:
Wow! Talk about effective "owner training"!
thumbsup.gif

Wow -- had no idea that German Shepherds could jump like that! That is impressive! We may have to consider running a hot wire top and bottom like has been suggested.

Fence planning is ongoing . . . going to go wander around Lowes/Home Depot, Farm stores, and see what the options look like as described . May have to build a house for the geese / ducks to be stuck in at night or I'll worry anyway. There's quite a coyote pack howling around here at night . . . but not thankfully the massive dog pack running around Eastern WA. Whew.

Going to measure and mark locations for posts / gates/ etc, this week, and decide what we want to build.

Quote:
Fences make good deterrents

My neighbors dog regularly digs under my 6' fence, He has already killed one hen for sure, I've caught him in the yeard dozens of times, and yesterday and animal came in and took off with another hen. I suspect the dog, but the neighbors claim their dog was indoors this time. Irrisponsible dog ownerd annoy the _____ out of me! These same neighbors complain of my roos when they have 4 big dogs running loose all the time!

I have an idea for you. does the dog always dig under in the same place? if so then I suggest this. Red oaker chalk. you can get it at a lumber supply or off line. we use it at work and its the worst stuff ever for getting on yourself or anything else. ever see them 10,000 year old cave paintings? that's red oaker chalk. it doesn't wash off for a very long time. if you can pour a line about 2"-3" wide around the fence. if the dog is going to dig then it will hit the chalk. when it does there no amount of washing going to get it off. that stuff is still on the wall of the pyramids in Egypt. IF its the dog you suspect it will leave tracks and best off all take it home to roll on the owners carpet and porch, couch, etc. very tell tale signs of "who done it".

I feel your pain,i live next to my in laws and they have jack russles.they have been terrorizing {sorry about the spelling}my chickens
we put up a fence around the fenced in run hoping that would discourge them.once they see movement off they go .thank god they can't get to them.going for electric fence next.like to take a 12 gauge to them.but than would have an all out family war on my hands.

Shoot it.

I'm not usually one to kill an animal but if you can hit it square in the back leg or something without killing it then maybe your neighbor and the dog will get a clue.
It's not cruel if you are defending your pets, your territory and your family.
Or if you want to be more humane, you could try trapping it and driving it to a pound wayyyyy out of town.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes it is cruel. If you shoot to wound and not kill, the animal suffers. If you're going to shoot, kill it and be done with it. I'd rather see it taken to a pound than wounded and suffering. Not to mention potential cruelty to animal charges...

Back
Top Bottom