Issues with eating and drinking with peepers on?

Pinless peepers are used to counter cannbalism in flocks. They call them "pinless" peepers because there is a type of peepers that are metal and have a pin that goes through one nare to the other and are secured so they can't fall off. It doesn't hurt the chicken since there is no septum in chickens.

Pinless peepers are plastic and are flexible with prongs instead of pins. They are installed using snap ring pliers which work opposite of regular pliers and hold the peeper prongs apart to slip into the nares.

There is an adjustment period to learn to see with the peepers blocking forward vision. Most chickens adjust within minutes to the peepers, but some have more trouble. It can help to ease this transition with treats on the ground which can help the chicken to focus downward to find the food. The treats soothe the stress of this adjustment.

Even if the chickens adjust readily to wearing peepers, some waterers have a tray too narrow for the chicken to navigate wearing peepers which can hit on the tank and not permit the beak to dip into the tray. Some feeders as well can be too narrow to accommodate peeper wearing chickens. You will need to observe and correct these issues if you see it happening by providing a more suitable feeder and watering device. I've found that nipple waterers are very difficult for peeper wearing chickens to see and use effectively. A open water bowl usually solves the problem. A dog dish will solve the feeder issue.

Recently fitted a hen with a painless peeper... had trouble eating or drinking from hanging feeder and waterer so I put them on the floor... seems to be easier for her but still not easy... any solutions? Or will Shen just get used to it?
Mine had trouble also. I did a small metal pail for food and a bowl of water. Kinda a pain but worth it in the long run as she no longer picks on others.

The photo I showed was of my first Flock of 5 Golden Comets during the their first adult molt.
The 3 hens were plucking pin feathers.
I only kept Pinless Peepers on for 3 weeks till the feathers grew in.

I haven't had a feather plucking problem with them again or my second Flock of 7 Barred Rocks in their adult molt.

After that first experience I no longer feed a 16% Protein feed. I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or All-Flock feed with 18 to 20% Protein year round with a separate container of Oyster Shells. GC

I put out a small pail for the 3 hens with Pinless Peepers and already had small pails for water.
20180128_110831.jpg
20180128_101256.jpg

Mine had trouble eating too. GC

Back
Top Bottom