It’s a boy, isn’t it? 😑

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
Hi so I bought 6 pullets from tractor supply but I know fully well sometimes it can happen. This is the only chicken that isn’t getting along with my male guinea fowl...they aren’t fighting yet but whenever the guinea fowl gets close to the chicken the chicken scoots as fast as possible to avoid it. Today I noticed the chicken will avoid being in the same part of the enclosure as the guinea. “Her” name is Goldie and I really like “her” and I know having more than one male is a bad idea. But I’m not sure if it goes for the two different species as well. They are still considered teenagers I believe. I got them all mid/end of May. This is also the only chicken with such a predominant waddle. Turned bright red a week or so ago! If you need better pics let me know I can definitely get them. “She’s” really chill around me.

Attachments

• 385998CE-B8D8-4807-B7A0-5049C667112E.jpeg
    385998CE-B8D8-4807-B7A0-5049C667112E.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 35
Hi so I bought 6 pullets from tractor supply but I know fully well sometimes it can happen. This is the only chicken that isn’t getting along with my male guinea fowl...they aren’t fighting yet but whenever the guinea fowl gets close to the chicken the chicken scoots as fast as possible to avoid it. Today I noticed the chicken will avoid being in the same part of the enclosure as the guinea. “Her” name is Goldie and I really like “her” and I know having more than one male is a bad idea. But I’m not sure if it goes for the two different species as well. They are still considered teenagers I believe. I got them all mid/end of May. This is also the only chicken with such a predominant waddle. Turned bright red a week or so ago! If you need better pics let me know I can definitely get them. “She’s” really chill around me.
Cockerel.
How old is the Buff Orpington?

What’s a Buff Orpington? Is that the kind of chicken it is? I got them all as pullets from tractor supply mid/end of May I don’t know the exact dates and that would take some digging to get.
Buff Orpington is the breed.
Pictures of mine at 4 months old.
20200623_111820.jpg
From mid/May to our date now, would make your birds 2 months old.

It's a cockerel, you can note that his sickle feathers have started to go down.

Cockerel.

Guinea fowl will sometimes go whack-a-doodle when they know that chicken cockerels are in the same run.
That’s such a shame too...I guess I will have to decide between the two and I’m tempted to spare my golden boy. I only wanted one guinea fowl to be the guard dog when my flock goes free range anyways.

That’s such a shame too...I guess I will have to decide between the two and I’m tempted to spare my golden boy. I only wanted one guinea fowl to be the guard dog when my flock goes free range anyways.

Guinea fowls are not a bird that should be kept alone or even in a pair. I always try to keep no less than 15 of them. If they are too few they start chasing after chickens, which is actually unhealthy for chickens because they become stressed. They also start running away.

Back
Top Bottom