It’s getting cold here! Ducks absolutely will NOT use their house!

Pics
Maybe you can do some modifications to the dog house and after they get us to it they will use it on their own. With the cold weather we're having and all the snow mine go in and out all day long and all are usually up own their own by 3:30pm all I have to do is lock the doors. But training is the key.

Maybe you can do some modifications to the dog house and after they get us to it they will use it on their own. With the cold weather we're having and all the snow mine go in and out all day long and all are usually up own their own by 3:30pm all I have to do is lock the doors. But training is the key.
I didn’t put them in last night because it’s wasn’t very cold. But we are supposed to get some weather so I’ll have to start doing it every night. But they act starving and real thirsty when I let them out because they are in all night until morning.
We are getting a ramp thing built and hopefully figure out a way to keep the door open during the day so they can go in and out.

On one of my doors I have a big hook and a thin chain and hook the door so it stays open if I don't some how the chickens manage to get the door closed.

Not so easy to see but maybe you can get an idea

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
On one of my doors I have a big hook and a thin chain and hook the door so it stays open if I don't some how the chickens manage to get the door closed.

Not so easy to see but maybe you can get an idea
Yeah that would be a good idea. Except my door doesn’t open like that. So it’ll be more complicated. Lol :( I’m sure I can figure it out though!

It’s getting real cold here in Iowa! My ducks refuse to sleep in their house! They would rather sleep in the grass or on cement! Even right next to it!
Sometimes I catch them hanging out in it in the morning or during the day though.
I think they’re going to get very cold.. especially at night when the temp drops! And when it starts snowing!
I free ranged my ducks and they never used a coop. Even in the winter slept in part of our pond that never froze, where a spring ran in. Sucked when the snow got knee deep though going out to feed them, usually they'd come up to our house to feed. They did just fine. Wouldn't recommend it with predators around though, we had a 'free range' dog that kept predators away.

I free ranged my ducks and they never used a coop. Even in the winter slept in part of our pond that never froze, where a spring ran in. Sucked when the snow got knee deep though going out to feed them, usually they'd come up to our house to feed. They did just fine. Wouldn't recommend it with predators around though, we had a 'free range' dog that kept predators away.
I don’t have any other animals to help with the predators! :( it’s just the duckys!

Last night was the 2nd time my ducks we’re put in for all night. When I went out this morning to let them out they acted like they didn’t want to come out. Lol I don’t know what they want from me. Lol

Back
Top Bottom