It’s getting cold here! Ducks absolutely will NOT use their house!

Ducks legs can be injured if they jump from too high a height. My Muscovy drake jump off the side of his pool instead of using his ramp and limped around for a week or so before he was back to normal.
I like the having sides idea!! Definitely doing that! Because every time they fall off or get pushed it seems like they land hard on their feet and it sounds like it hurts.

Ducks legs can be injured if they jump from too high a height. My Muscovy drake jump off the side of his pool instead of using his ramp and limped around for a week or so before he was back to normal.

So, what is too high a height? Like I said, mine would jump off the ramp as soon as they cleared the doorway half the time without issue. Is it dependent on breed?

So, what is too high a height? Like I said, mine would jump off the ramp as soon as they cleared the doorway half the time without issue. Is it dependent on breed?
Probably is my Drake weighed 15lbs and he was up in years, but ducks legs aren't real sturdy anyway so jumping an landing on hard surface could cause injury. This height was probably 1.5' if they jump fly that's totally different.

Listen...They are Ducks and so much worry and hype over a ramp is crazy..They learn and do not die..Do I need to post pictures?...Of course not.
Evidently you've never had a duck injure a leg from jumping from too high a height but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use precautions to keep our birds from injury if we can help it. It's out responsibility to keep them safe. Heavier breeds can have leg injuries. Of course up to OP what she /he decides with their own birds I just gave an experience from what happened here.

Evidently you've never had a duck injure a leg from jumping from too high a height but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use precautions to keep our birds from injury if we can help it. It's out responsibility to keep them safe. Heavier breeds can have leg injuries. Of course up to OP what she /he decides with their own birds I just gave an experience from what happened here.
Injuries can happen to everything living..Heck, I fell on the ice and hurt myself. My Horse slipped and cut his leg on a tree/log..My Big Orpington Hen hurt her Leg flying out of the Coop..My Orpington flew and landed on my little Call hen and injured her neck..Casportpony helped me that day. Yes , injuries happen but not as much as people think?..

Last edited:
Yes injuries can happen when not expecting them too.
My main reason was if we can do things to prevent them then that is best.
I never worry until I need too or I would be nuts by now..lol..All Ducks I have had, rescues or my own all learn the ramp and no injuries..My Calls fly around my yard and land sometimes pretty hard on the ground..I guess precautions are good but being too overly cautious is pointless..

IMG_3364.JPG
IMG_3365.JPG
My ramps that all Ducks and new Ducklings use..

Back
Top Bottom