It’s moving but it’s in early stage and looks stuck to the shell

Jojociita

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
I’ve been toiling over this egg for a few days, a coworker gives me eggs from his hens and there are a few Roos he tries to keep separate. Most of the time I can candle an egg and check if he found it a few days in vs his normal daily. (I am FOREVER grateful to him and am in no way complaining, it’s just fascinating to me) so this was one of the latest batches he gave me on 9/2. I set them all in a tilted crate and rotated them, 60 degree f dark space just in case. I went to candle before I decided to try and hatch or… well… make a quiche. I saw this guy movin like mad so I put it in a bator.. issue is, well.. it looks pretty rough. When I candle it does move (super dark brown egg, unsure of the breed but his Maran hens are too young to lay)x, however its more or less adhered to the air sack (the smaller circle is pencil from me.

Am I risking an eggsplosion by keeping this in the bator? If not I don’t want to toss a possible chick 🥲 attaching some of the copious amounts of pics I took.

I wish I could discern what bits wher what part of the chick, alas.. I have no clue. All I know is it’s active and kinda… thrashes when I try to gently roll it to the other side to sit and help it.. unstick? Unless bacteria moves so much that I can see it in a candling.. I feel like this little one is doomed. Any advice is welcome!
IMG_1621.jpeg IMG_1622.jpeg

Hi and welcome to BYC. In the early days of visible embryo development, the embyo can appear to be "stuck" to the side of the egg shell, but won't appear stuck to the air sac. In the first photo it almost looks as if there are some blood vessels to the top and left of the black area. Are they there, or is that an illusion? Before inner egg contents become rotten they liquefy, and yes you can see it move while you are candling. To my eye, the blackened area looks like an egg that is beginning to rot rather than a developing embryo, but no one ever wants to tell someone to toss an egg that turned out to contain a developing chick. Here is an article that should help you decide.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/

How old was the egg when you put it in the incubator? How old were they when you took these pictures?
I work second shift so apologies for the later reply. They were given to my 9/2 and set 9/4. Generally , he collects daily and gives them out 4 days later(not sure why but I have eggs for days so I’m a happy camper regardless!!)) The images in the original post were taken on 9/10, about 6 days in, which is why I was so confused! Generally I’m seeing little fancy blobs with webbing, not .. whatever is going on with that lol peep.

Using a Homemade incubator that I coded a microcontroller, heat, humidity, and monitoring for(1 commute an hour each way for work so I needed remote management and couldn’t find one to fit my needs for less than I knew I could sped to make it🐣). IoT setup, heats up to no higher than 100.5 and no lower than 99.5 Has been averaging about 100.1f on the daily (additional images are some of the other eggs from the same grouping that were all set on the same evening. The guy with the ring is a dancing KING, he’s just a slooooow rotator when he gets rolled)
Humidity ranges from 45-55 depending on outside temp but the bator is inside a room that stays about 80f 41% humidity. Hand turned 3 times daily (alternating rolling directions each day to not twist the lil umbilical (can’t quite spell chalazea right 🥲) I do… too much research before any new venture so I go a bit overboard 😅

I hope this helps! And thank you for your reply 💜 IMG_1534.jpeg IMG_1576.jpeg IMG_1601.jpeg IMG_1604.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi and welcome to BYC. In the early days of visible embryo development, the embyo can appear to be "stuck" to the side of the egg shell, but won't appear stuck to the air sac. In the first photo it almost looks as if there are some blood vessels to the top and left of the black area. Are they there, or is that an illusion? Before inner egg contents become rotten they liquefy, and yes you can see it move while you are candling. To my eye, the blackened area looks like an egg that is beginning to rot rather than a developing embryo, but no one ever wants to tell someone to toss an egg that turned out to contain a developing chick. Here is an article that should help you decide.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/
I’m beginning to think one of his girls ran off and laid this in someone else’s box and it was under a broody hen who lost interest and he found it a bit in. It definitely moves but not in a sloshy way, in a “crap! Let me get to the top” when I rotate it kinda way, erratic and against normal gravity. I’m going to put it in its own little quarantine bator I made (because I am a crazy woman) so if it’s a bomb it won’t hurt the others or my sensitive nose. So far there’s no smell ooze or otherwise. 💀 I’ll give it the last 11-12 days and see if we have a dud, a peep, or an explosive. 🤞

** edit ** they’re definitely veins as well. They pulse and move with it. Unless it’s the worlds tiniest chick and it has a tiny Mohawk of feathers 🐣. But on a real note, yes, there are a number of veins in and around it. If I could figure out how to upload a video it would probably save much consternation 🥲

Last edited:
If the blob is moving when you wiggle the egg it's likely dead.
If the blob moves on it's own while the egg is very still then it may be alive.

It doesn't look too good to me.
I thought the same, black isn’t bad when it’s super far along but it looks waaaay too early. I’ve never had an embryo get stuck to the shell so I have no clue what that’s even look like. They are definitely veins and they pulse, it also moves in the way an actual embryo would, if it were strapped in a car seat. It can’t leave that spot so either way it’s stuck. I have a mini bator I made for eggs I can’t give up until a bit after hatch day or … atomic explosion. I’ll put it in there and we shall see in a little under two weeks.. I made the mistake in my first round a while ago.. of letting a black blob ride and the putrid ooze came out like toothpaste-NOPE. Never again. If there’s no change in a few days I’ll send it on its merry way. But for now I’ll let him dance and try to detach. Though there’s no other air sacs so I think he’s quite literally grown into it. It might be more humane to end it sooner than later. Phew I’m no good at those decisions.

There are veins so that egg is not going to explode at this point
If you have been turning the eggs then he shouldn’t be stuck
I would leave it be as it is growing and just candle daily
If the veins go away and the blob stops moving you will have time to know and remove it
Just looks like one of his hens sat on this egg for days before you got them so it’s further ahead

No need to apologize. We're not on a clock here :)
I've never seen an egg like that one. Something just seems a little off with it. I'd be worrying that there might be a deformity or the chick be too big to hatch... but that's just me. I'd probably leave it in the bator and candle again on day 10 before I decided to cull.
There's a great article in the learning center so you can kind of judge the embryo's age. Idk how to add the link, sorry. I use it often.

In order to post a video here, it is necessary to first post to youtube or another video-sharing site and then attach a link. Please let us know if/when the egg hatches. If you determine the embryo has definitely died, an eggtopsy would be very interesting if you feel up to it.

Back
Top Bottom