It Finally Happened New Egg layer!

It's so exciting. I'm putting the nesting boxes in tomorrow. I've had them out and I'm a little late getting them in. I wanted to put them in last weekend but I got busy packing for vacation. I'm hoping it's still a few more weeks away like you said!
Mine are built in my coop so have always been there but I also have 7 hens that are a bit over a year so couldn't even block them off

Mine were blocked off until last week when some of them started to look like they might lay soon. So got them opened up, put a slanted board on top since they were used to walking around up there, and added a landing bar a few days ago. Put in lots of hay. Also put ceramic eggs in two of them.

A004D0DF-FB5F-4E5F-81EC-17FBBA632251.jpeg

Ah I made a post about my new Emeralds but I should have posted here!

I have 2 Emeralds that are 19 weeks, one squatted for me yesterday. I can't tell from their features if they are close though.

With our original four the first to lay was the Rhode Rock and her comb and wattle went through a big growth spurt and went dark right before laying, the other 3 were still light pink and small but once they started changing we knew they were going to lay within a week. With the Emeralds we don't have that the combs are different and I'm not even sure if we will see their wattles 😂

I'm so excited though because these will be our first blue/green eggs hopefully.

We also have some 12 week olds but they are a way off yet I guess.

Oh and we have a rescue lavender Brahma that is supposed to be a year old and still laying but it's been a few weeks and she's not made any signs.

Attachments

• PXL_20220811_184247795.jpg
    PXL_20220811_184247795.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220811_184244653.jpg
    PXL_20220811_184244653.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 6
Ah I made a post about my new Emeralds but I should have posted here!

I have 2 Emeralds that are 19 weeks, one squatted for me yesterday. I can't tell from their features if they are close though.

With our original four the first to lay was the Rhode Rock and her comb and wattle went through a big growth spurt and went dark right before laying, the other 3 were still light pink and small but once they started changing we knew they were going to lay within a week. With the Emeralds we don't have that the combs are different and I'm not even sure if we will see their wattles 😂

I'm so excited though because these will be our first blue/green eggs hopefully.

We also have some 12 week olds but they are a way off yet I guess.

Oh and we have a rescue lavender Brahma that is supposed to be a year old and still laying but it's been a few weeks and she's not made any signs.
Congrats on your new layers! some have had them lay 1-2 weeks after squatting a few it is longer. but seems about a week is what most say. By the red comb they look close. Since they have beards they won't have wattles from what I understand.

Sounds like we are both right around the same time frame for squatting!

Congrats on your new layers! some have had them lay 1-2 weeks after squatting a few it is longer. but seems about a week is what most say. By the red comb they look close. Since they have beards they won't have wattles from what I understand.

Sounds like we are both right around the same time frame for squatting!

Yes the other girl squatted today. We are going through another heatwave and I'm hoping these girls are going to be ok because they are suffering more than my others, I've tried some of the tips for the heat for them so I'm hoping they'll ride it out.

Yes the other girl squatted today. We are going through another heatwave and I'm hoping these girls are going to be ok because they are suffering more than my others, I've tried some of the tips for the heat for them so I'm hoping they'll ride it out.
We had a horribly long heatwave here. Thankfully they all did ok. I will say the babies I put in the coop brooder barely used the MHP during it. Lol

We got our first egg two days ago from one of our pullets. She was 18 weeks. Here are a couple pictures of the egg and her. There are also eggs from our three year old hens. She laid another one this morning. Not using the nest box yet.
Is she a blue rock? Makes me so excited for mine to start

Well....tonight we were tiding up the coop when I found a buried egg in the nesting box. I got excited think it was our Brahma and showed husband.

He then said he didn't collect the eggs like he normally does this morning. I had glanced in the nest and there were none so I thought he had, anyway......I had a dig around, found our usual 4 and then tried the other nesting box and lo and behold a ting mint green egg!

Can't tell you how excited and surprised I was!

So one of our Emeralds is laying and in the right place!

Odd that they were buried though. Do you think the Brahma is broody and collecting eggs? If I go in the coop she creates merry hell, but she's not sitting in a nesting box at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_181103360.jpg
    PXL_20220812_181103360.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 8
Well....tonight we were tiding up the coop when I found a buried egg in the nesting box. I got excited think it was our Brahma and showed husband.

He then said he didn't collect the eggs like he normally does this morning. I had glanced in the nest and there were none so I thought he had, anyway......I had a dig around, found our usual 4 and then tried the other nesting box and lo and behold a ting mint green egg!

Can't tell you how excited and surprised I was!

So one of our Emeralds is laying and in the right place!

Odd that they were buried though. Do you think the Brahma is broody and collecting eggs? If I go in the coop she creates merry hell, but she's not sitting in a nesting box at all.
If she isn't sitting probably not broody. Mine start by being in the box for like 4 hrs to lay. Then leave. A few hours later they may come back or wait till the next morning then go in for another 4-6 hrs out for a couple then back in. Then they don't leave besides a half hour a day...

But woohoo on the new layer!!! What a pretty egg!! They were probably scratching around and buried it.

Back
Top Bottom