It happened. I knew it would. The neighbours complained.

Quote:
I am with you, I used to live in a typical suburban cul de sac and I hated it. Finally out in the country at least a quarter mile to the nearest neighbor. Roosters can crow, I can target shoot right in my yard, goose hunt in the corn field behind my house, Everyday I thank God I'm where I'm at.

I guess I'm just lucky. My nearest neighbors love the roosters - they say that's one of the reasons they moved into the country. Of course, I still supply them with free eggs from time to time to help spread the love! The other neighbors aren't that close, so I can't imagine the crows bother them overly.

I haven't read all the previous threads, only some of them.

I think you need to change your mind-set. --- Why on Earth would you need to feel down because of a complaint?

You're only doing stuff that is natural. People who are bascially Townies should go where they feel happiest;
the urban noise of traffic, footfall and the rest of all that is far more disgusting than the healthy crow of any
cockerel. So what that it crows early? Either get up or go back to sleep! Personally, I smile every time I hear my
girls go bop-bop-bop-grrr! If I were in the country-side my land would be an animals paradise.

Just take a moment to think of all the good you do - and file the complaint away under that!

Quote:
I think that alot has to do with HOW and WHAT you say to your neighbors.

For instance:

"I want and hope to get along with all of my neighbors, but in this circumstance...I'm going to have to say that I plan on keeping all of my flock". I'm sorry you have issues with the roos crowing...I love to hear them and that is why I live in a RURAL area where farm animal noises are to be expected!" I will gladly give you a dozen eggs per week (or whatever chicken gift you want to extend as peace offering)but I am not going to be able to accomodate you in this matter. I hope you will still be a friendly neighbor and adjust to the normal farm noises you hear...living out here in this rural area.
If not...perhaps the sounds of cars and sirens you hear in the city would be more in tune with your wishes."

My neighbors also hate my chickens, know what though? I dont care!
tongue2.gif
Thats the reason I moved to a rural area, to be able to have the livestock I want and do as I wish with my property. If your neighbor is bothered by the sound of roosters he should move
roll.png
He will eventually get used to them anyways, I have at one time had 20ish grown roosters on my place and they dont wake me up at all. I have 5 right now and can't hear one. Partly because their coop is away from the house and partly because Im used to it. SO I say do nothing, he is the one bothered by the rooster, not you
wink.png
Either that or tell him your next big interest is starting a pig breeding operation, he should settle down real quick when he realizes the pigs are not coming
lau.gif

Quote:
Tehehe when my babies matured I had over 20... probably close to 30 all crowing!
lol.png
I still found I had one in particular that was obnoxious and crowed all the time and set the others off. After he was invited to dinner (he was also extremely aggressive) it was much quieter. I was amazed how much difference one less made. I suspect once you cull the extras things will be much better.
smile.png

I think you're being a good neighbor to cull your extras when you have time. I wouldn't worry too much about doing a lot of other things to keep any of them from crowing. I think just trying to do what you reasonably can to reduce it is enough.

I'm sorry. I would agree with sweet talking them and bribing them with some eggs/chicken/whatever. We are rural, too, but have one neighbour who is unfortunately located sort of kitty corner behind us (their laneway is very long). This puts them in firing range of the barn where the chickens are. When we got the chickens, they very nicely (they are sweet) asked if we were getting roosters. We said our plan was not to keep any roosters and we hoped for none. Well, we do have one. So far he is sweet and watchful of the ladies and his crow is not overly loud. And, against our better judgement, our kids have gotten attached to "Roo" although they know he is likely headed for freezer camp. We haven't made any final decision, but in the meantime, I plan on giving eggs to the neighbours when we get eggs, and I give them vegs from the garden and fresh bread. They do some big favours for us, so I am hoping putting up with a possibly noisy rooster will be one of them.

For what it's worth - even if you can legally have chickens where you live - your neighbor can file a civil suit if they so choose. I friend of mine had this happen with her dog. It was perfectly legal for her to own a dog & the dog was an indoor pet and was only let out in their yard supervised.

They had a next door neighbor (psycho) that said he could hear the dog barking at night even though it was inside their house so he filed a civil suit. There was a lot of back and forth and drama but the long story short is the judge agreed with the neighbor
roll.png
~ so my friend was ordered to either get rid of the dog or have it surgically altered so that it couldn't bark OR face a big fine and animal control would take the dog and have it put down.

Bottom line is, anybody can sue anybody in the good old USA and sometimes they find a judge that is just as stupid as they are....and even if you win you still end up spending money for lawyers to help you win............I'd try to keep the neighbors on my good side even if you are within your rights to raise your chickens.

I keep my guy in until 9 am. I figure that is plenty of time for a 3rd shifter to crawl in bed and get to sleep, and late enough that it doesn't wake up the neighbors earlier than they like. I asked my neighbors across the street, as they don't have chickens, if they were bothered, they said no, they are usually leaving for work by the time I let my crowers out. The neighbor on the other side of the trees, I asked if they bothered her, she said no. I even told her that they keep getting in her back yard wandering thru the trees and IF it became a problem for her, I'd try and run a fence down the property line thru the trees, but she said she didn't care, but that she did have a dog and could not be responsible if he chased them. I told her that was fine, they'd learn quick to stay in there own yard or in the trees. I offered her eggs when they start, but she says they don't eat eggs. Carl and Earlene have chickens and roosters (only 2, I have 7) so they don't care. And the people in the apts across the street... Heck with them. They shouldn't have moved into a development in a rural area, but it is super dog friendly there because of its rural proximity.

As for the complaining neighbor, I think an egg offering every few weeks... Either to them personally or maybe delivered from the street?
lau.gif
Just kidding. Just keep them in a little later in the morning. To heck with daytime crowing. They can always keep the windows closed and run an air purifier to keep the air fresh in the house if it is that bothersome. Don't feel bad, but I wouldn't go so far out of my way to make them more "HAPPY" with country life. Keeping my guys in till 9 AM is the most I am going to do.

Back
Top Bottom