Pics
yes it is! I also have 2 light brahma's that should lay sometime in Oct/Nov. But one her comb and wattles are still so light pink so I know she isn't close. Marshmallows are much closer and getting quite red so who knows she may be before Annabelle. I just thought hers would get bigger but someone posted a pic of her Brahma that was laying and it looked close to Marshmallows so who knows. Guess we will see.
Oooh that is interesting about the comb/wattles. Maybe she will surprise you! I'm certainly learning here that we can only presume so much about what these ladies will do, and when. Haha

I have a Buff Orp, Olive egger and BCM that are close and "should" lay quite soon. They are the same age as the other girls laying.. Olive Egger and BCM squat, have pelvic separation and have been investigating the coop during the day a lot. Then I have eight that are 13 weeks old, so a few weeks yet ...and lastly.. ten girls that are little 8-week-old youngins. We shall see who lays this year and who doesn't :pop
so jealous of all your girls left to lay! I have 5 left. My 3 Cochins and 2 light Brahma's. 3 aren't even close going by comb and wattles. 2 are "close" (Marshmallow and Annabelle). Then that is it till I get more next year! I already have my list for next year haahaa. Just deciding how many to get. I can only have 8 more in my coop but where 2 were Roo's last year and I lost 1 not sure exactly how many I should get. Guess I can get "extra" and rehome any that make it and are "extras".

so jealous of all your girls left to lay! I have 5 left. My 3 Cochins and 2 light Brahma's. 3 aren't even close going by comb and wattles. 2 are "close" (Marshmallow and Annabelle). Then that is it till I get more next year! I already have my list for next year haahaa. Just deciding how many to get. I can only have 8 more in my coop but where 2 were Roo's last year and I lost 1 not sure exactly how many I should get. Guess I can get "extra" and rehome any that make it and are "extras".
My mistake was building a coop and run that would accommodate 30 chickens quite comfortably 🤣🤣🤣 so when my first batch ended up being wrongly sexed roos... I had been on this site for a while seeing all the different breeds...and, welp, now I have 25 chickens total... 22 different breeds (only duplicate breeds are 2 Midnight Majesty Marans and 3 EEs) LOL

Last edited:
My mistake was building a coop and run that would accommodate 30 chickens quite comfortably 🤣🤣🤣 so when my first batch ended up being wrongly sexed roos... I had been on this site for a while seeing all the different breeds...and, welp, now I have 25 chickens total... 21 different breeds (only duplicate breeds are 2 Midnight Majesty Marans and 3 EEs) LOL
my mistake was not convincing my husband to let us build a bigger coop! hahaaa! But he figured we would get 4 when he mentioned we should get them...... I had planned on 8 since at that time I had 4 breeds I wanted and wanted 2 of each....... Then I changed my mind but still ordered 8...... Then a few weeks later decided I wanted some colored layers so asked him if I could add on 2 more. hahaaa So changed my order and added my 2 EE to it. but since I had only planned on 8 and figuring I would add a "few more" another year we only built an 8x8 coop....... I had said I would go up to 14... Now I am thinking go up to my max of 16. LOL Even one of my daughters now is saying that I have enough and don't need more next year. My other daughter was in love with the one that passed away so she wants another one of those but says we don't need 8 more but is on board for another few more. LOL I say I am the one that mainly feeds them, gets their water and cleans up after them so it is my choice on how many I get. LOL

wow on all the different breeds. I keep looking at others to add but I am very partial to fluffy feet and nice round chickens (from breed not fat) so keep going back to the same breeds. LOL I have 4 cochins (2 the same color but 1 is my roo, my daughter and husband picked those ones out so that is why we have 2 of the same color, the others are different colors), 2 light brahmas, my 1 salmon Faverolle (that my 18 yr old picked out but I fell in love with her), and my EE. the one that passed was a Sicilian buttercup.

next year I think I am going to add some buff brahma's (had 2 ordered last year but they didn't come in with the others since I guess the hatchery didn't have them?. So I had to pick out 2 other kinds which is how I ended up with my buff cochin (annabelle) and my 2nd light brahma. I NEED more EE (so thinking another 2-3 of those), a Sicilian buttercup for my daughter, I need another salmon Faverolle as well. Then I want to hatch some cochins and hopefully get a splash Cochin (or two). So basically sticking with the same breeds just other colors. LOL

Last edited:
What breeds are you thinking of adding next year?
OOPS I was editing my other post when you posted so it is now in that one. But as much as I keep looking I am pretty boring unless I see my farm store has any others that catch my eye next year that I change it up.

How did you incorporate your 8 weeks old to the rest of the flock? did you brood them in the coop or are you adding them in later?

You could build on...! oh wait that's bad advice.
hahaaa. I tried to tell my husband that we could do that, at the time I was just saying make the run bigger coming off the other side of the coop, and he told me NO WAY... so I had to explain I meant the run not the coop... but maybe in a couple years I can talk him into adding on to the coop or making a 2nd coop and making the runs attach as 1. LOL

Back
Top Bottom