It is so not fair!

Got an extra bathtub in the house? If not, a large plastic container will work anywhere there is an outlet for the heat lamp. Think of all of the little eggs out there that deserve to become your well loved chicks. Life is too short not to pursue our simplest and nurturing types of desires such as hatching and giving love to a few baby chicks.

How's that for enabling.
smile.png

lol i do have the stuff it is just the space around here and plus way to cold right now to ship eggs

Oh you have will power! I'd have 8 due to hatch any time now. 11 silkies in the other bator, 4 delaware eggs from my own girls & I just ordered more eggs off eggbid! I have no will power and the eggs and bator call to me!

If you can't use your kitchen or living room, try the dining room or the bathroom. There's always a room for chicks!

I said I was going to be good too, but alas, I done a bad, bad thing. My incubator was gathering dust, and when I saw Silkie eggs being offered, I couldn't pass them up. I have about 38 various eggs in the incubator right now, most of which are good. I should see the last of them hatch right around the 26th.

Oh the problem.....

Ideal is not hatching what I want, those that are Cackle aren't hatching.........of the quagmire...

Lol man I am so tempted right now just to get some eggs but with it being cold up here do u think that the eggs would ship all right?

Okay, I am new at this enabler business but here goes....

I just ordered eggs from Alaska, MI, WI and ??? somewhere else. As long as they are packed accordingly, they will be fine.

Space???? We put the dog kennel in the middle of the family room floor. We wouldn't want to miss one single peep or antic. And by the time they are ready to go outside.... well, we'll just pray for an early spring.

See how easy it is???

Like you I am also going thru withdrawals from hatching but I am trying to be strong until it is closer to spring...lol.

I'm in Northern Michigan so it's snowbound for me for a bit yet. Last year I started incubating in March. I had eggs shipped from all over and for the most part was doing well enough..until the ice storm that knocked out my power for several days and me with a bator FULL of eggs.

Anyway back to shipping, I asked my mail lady to leave any packages in the big sleeping bag in the front seat of the pickup to keep them from getting too cold. The post office opens after I leave for work and closes before I get home so picking up in person is impossible. The sleeping bag worked pretty well. The majority of ppl wrap eggs very well which also helps to insulate them from the cold.

My problem with incubating at this time is the brooding time frame and space. Most of the breeds I have and prefer are large winter hardy. I can't control myself and just incubate 4-6 eggs, no I have to fill the bator. Well as they hatch and grow they need more and more space. And the other ppl living in this house don't appreciate the flock like I do...lol.

I know it will be months before it's warm enough outside that chicks can be ok without extra heat. Ideally I shouldn't incubate anything before mid April at the earliest (we still get frosts in May), but I know I will cave before that time. I also don't want to try to introduce newbies to the flock before we've had the spring thaw.

I wish you luck on being strong...lol. I just keep reciting all my reasons why it won't work right now... oy!!!

Julie
smile.png

We have 8" of snow on the ground but the chickies are warm in the basement
tongue.png

in the last month we have ordered eggs from NY (and we are in WA state) WI, La, FL, PA, Ca and I am sure every oter state I am not thinking of right now.. HAHAHA.. GO AHEAD.. eggs in the bator feels so good!!!!
Being a hatchaholic is like standing on a slippery slope and we are all good at pushing....
wink.png

I have to enable ya here as well. Go ahead...drop a few in the bator!! I have 9 Langshans(3 weeks old) and 3 BO(between 1 and 2 wks old) and an EE(about a week old) in the brooder in the garage now. Oh, and 3 RIRx eggs in the bator due 1 Jan. I just can't seem to step away from the bator!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom