It's 34 degrees and my chickens won't go in the coop.

I have about 5 that roost in the run. They started in the summer and now it’s 25F and they are still out there.
So is it just a predator issue and not weather? Like they will even be out there in rain. I imagine when it gets down to the single digits this won't be good. Maybe they will go inside themselves. I mean, I would think I'd have to shut the door at that point.

Yes but I have another coop. One has 3 chickens and the other has 4. The 4 fit into a larger coop. I've had them for over a year and the only predators we seem to have are hawks. I closed the original hens in all winter but I got these girls in spring.
Which(how many) birds spent the whole winter in which coop? Just in the coop, or the coop and tiny attached run??

So are any of the birds going into their coop?
3 and 4 in those tiny coops may still be too crowded(and those coops usually lack good ventilation) to be comfortable and why they are avoiding going in there...might only get worse as the weather gets worse.

55857D7A-7319-4960-ADBF-AE157B558DD8.jpeg
Well the way I see it you have one of two choices.
Don’t force or put them in at night. Spend your energy on tarping/covering the run. Put plenty of bedding down and let them winter outside.
Or put them in manually.
While it is so true that the manufacturers grossly over state how many birds can fit there’s something you can do if you so desire.
I too have a “4 chicken” coop (yeah right?).
Until I can actually build my dream coop this is what I did.
In reality it’s just a sleeping box. My hens get along well and settle in nicely in their itty-bitty crappy artsie-fartsie box.

Mine didn't like how dark it was in the roost box so I put a clearish roof panel on one side and as if by magic they all went in that night without any problem. Now after a year it don't matter how dark it is inside ( I covered the clear panel) they all go in. I don't call it a coop because it is only a place to roost and everything else is in the run.

JT

Last edited:
Is the coop(your avatar?) inside a predator, and weather, proof run?
If that is your coop, it's too small for the 6 birds shown..
More info, and pics, on present setup would help immensely.
Yes but I have another coop. One has 3 chickens and the other has 4. The 4 fit into a larger coop. I've had them for over a year and the only predators we seem to have are hawks. I closed the original hens in all winter but I got these girls in spring.

Each coop days it's good for 6-8 birds so they have plenty of room.
The manufacturer says it's good for so many birds...but those population numbers are always underestimated for reality, and you are seeing the results.

I'm sorry, but your birds are telling you the coops are too small(and probably under ventilated), and we are trying to help translate their language(behaviors) so you understand....keeping them from roosting on the coop, will not solve the space problem.

for what its worth... i have a chicken cam in my coop so i can check on them and i noticed mine were not going in the coop or it actually seemed like they would be slow to go in the coop and some would then get stuck outside.

It seemed to me the coop was too dark, alot darker then the outside so I setup a 4' shop light on a wifi smart plug. about 30 min before sunset i turned on the light so as it got darker outside they saw the coop was lit up and they started going in there and when all were inside i turned off the light.

i did this for about a week and then i stopped using the light all together and now they start going inside a little earlier and are all tucked in before dark.

Back
Top Bottom