should I stain?

chicken1234

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 11, 2011
Ontario Canada
The inside of the coop is painted but I am wondering if I should bother staining the outside? It won't be exposed to the elements. The outside that is exposed isn't stained yet either but its still too cold.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 34
Stain or painting will help with protection from deteriorating due to elements. Just because it's not exposed to the elements there's still humidity, wind, bugs factors and a good prime and couple coats of paint for instance helps seal the pores and cracks/seams to prevent intrusion.
Certainly not required of course but good for longevity and your preferred creative eye appeal... 🙂

The inside of the coop is painted but I am wondering if I should bother staining the outside? It won't be exposed to the elements. The outside that is exposed isn't stained yet either but its still too cold.
I like the big window in the cleanout door. It's a breakfast nook for your birds 🤣 Nice looking setup you have.
Could you post more pics of the overall coop? I'd love to see it before and after if you decide to coat it with stain.. 🙂

I stained the wood for the run. I like the look better, plus it will help the wood last longer. I just wish I kept the original color scheme I chose for the shed of light tan/dark brown instead of grey/black. The grey when I chose it on my monitor didnt have the blue undertones. Ah well, some day I'll repaint it probably.

1710683797973.png

I like the big window in the cleanout door. It's a breakfast nook for your birds 🤣 Nice looking setup you have.
Could you post more pics of the overall coop? I'd love to see it before and after if you decide to coat it with stain.. 🙂
Thank you, yeah its funny seeing them looking through the plexiglass at me lol. Here are some pictures of the coop and my girls. My 6 year old girl passed away yesterday so I am down to only two girls now.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2866.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 9
Since it is not exposed to the elements this becomes a personal choice to me. There are reasons you might want to paint or stain it.

One obvious one is aesthetics. Does the raw wood offend your sensibilities, especially as it ages grey? Some of us like that rustic look, some don't.

If you paint or stain it you smooth off the surface. It can make it easier to wash clean, poop won't stick as well. Depending on the wood it might stop splinters. I sand it to take off the roughest of stuff so I don't get splinters or abrasions when brushing against it. What kind of wood finish you have can make a difference, is it rough or fairly smooth.

I've seen farm buildings not painted that were in great shape 25 years or more after they were built. One was our chicken coop and another was a large tobacco barn my father built. Those were made of oak lumber harvested from our woodlands. If they had been pine or some other soft wood they likely would not have lasted that long. This was in East Tennessee so we had some wet weather.

Personally the inside of the chicken coop and of a barn-type storage structure are not painted, I don't see the need, but the outsides exposed to the weather are protected. A workshop or dry storage would be, easier to keep clean and a light bright color helps with vision.

Back
Top Bottom