It's coryza.. and it's spreading. :( Ornacyn Plus??

eamoret

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Orange, VA
I bought two Jersey Giant pullets from a woman on Craigslist, there's my first mistake. The operation didn't seem too bad. Relatively clean, compared to what I've seen. She showed me the pullets and nothing seemed odd about them to me. They looked healthy and quite content. Friendly too. I didn't notice the putrid smell coming from their nostrils at the time. Anyways, I brought them home and they smelled like sh*t. I handle my birds regularly and am aware of how a chicken SHOULD smell, and they shouldn't smell like a dead animal that's for sure. Actually, at first it was more of a horrid chicken poop smell. So, I bathed them and they smelled and looked better. I figured that's all it was, then I noticed crusting around a nostril.. and that putrid smell again. I cleaned off the nostril and noticed clear discharge. I got some of it on me by accident and it wreaked SO bad. I've been on these forums trying to figure out what this is for days now. They don't have any other symptoms, besides the clear nasal discharge and the putrid smell. I'm nearly positive it's coryza.

I cried.. and cried.. and cried more because I feel so stupid for introducing these two sick birds to my healthy birds because now two of mine are sick as well. I didn't quarantine like I should've, and I feel so terrible about it. I've considered culling the Jersey Giants, until I found out a couple of my Brahmas have it now too. If I just cull the four of them, and more of my flock start to show symptoms I'll feel like a real jack *****. Since they are pets and I have no desire to breed or show them, I'm going to treat them. I just bought Sulmet, and the Coryza vaccine from Jeffers. I'm going to Tractor Supply tomorrow to get Tylan.. but I do have a question..

Can I use Ornacyn Plus as well? I saw Gallimycin recommended, which is just erythromycin. Since Ornacyn Plus' main ingredient is erythromycin would it be okay to use on my chickens? It's for smaller pet birds, I believe. It also has a bunch of beneficial vitamins that could help them as well?

Ornacyn Plus. The special formula contains erythromycin to treat respiratory trouble, plus a balance of essential vitamins and amino acids to soothe digestive discomfort and boost overall health.

Features:

· Easily dissolves in water
· Broad-spectrum antibiotic effectively treats common avian respiratory ailments
· Corrects diarrhea and vitamin deficiencies during treatment
· Safe to use on any pet bird

Item Specifications:

Size:
8 tablets

Ingredients:
Each tablet contains 29 mg of erythromycin activity, dextrose, citric acid, vitamin B1 1mg, vitamin B2 1 mg, vitamin B6 1 mg, vitamin B12 0.010 mg, niacin 0.05 mg, lysine, methionine.

Last edited:
Sorry you are going through this. Are the birds eating well? Because really all the Ornacyn Plus vitamins are what is in chicken food, I don't think it would hurt them to get the extra vitamins is the Ornacyn Plus cheaper then the Gallimycin? Or is it more expensive? Did you contact the woman who sold you the chickens?

Last edited:
Sorry you are going through this. Are the birds eating well? Because really all the Ornacyn Plus vitamins are what is in chicken food, I don't think it would hurt them to get the extra vitamins is the Ornacyn Plus cheaper then the Gallimycin? Or is it more expensive? Did you contact the woman who sold you the chickens?

Yeah, everyone is eating just fine. They seem healthy and normal, besides that rancid stench and the occasional sneeze. I was able to pick up three boxes of the Ornacyn Plus for $20 inc. shipping, each box has 8 packets in each. I don't quite know if it's a better deal or not. Each packet of Ornacyn Plus has 29 mg of erythromycin in it. I'm thinking I'll need to use a couple packets at a time. It's probably not a better deal, but I can't find powdered Gallimycin, just the injectible stuff.

I haven't contacted the woman I bought them from. I just found out mine contracted it a couple hours ago, and was still unsure of what I was dealing with and now I'm positive it's coryza. I don't even know what to say to her about it. I'll call her tomorrow and let her know what's going on.

Right now I'm a little bitter about the whole thing because I just got duped at a chicken swap last weekend from a different seller who sold me lice infested, bumblefoot hens.. that I've grown to love dearly. I love all of my chickens, they are my pets and all have names but I'm just frustrated right now with the whole thing and can't help but blame myself. Why didn't I look for lice? Why didn't I look at their feet? Why didn't I quarantine? Hindsight is always 20/20. I just can't go back and make it right.
barnie.gif

This is a closed flock from now on, and it will have to be with coryza positive hens in it.

Back
Top Bottom