It's D Day

Hello everyone,

Today is My D day...I have killed 4 so far and I have them in a salt bath after cutting up. My question is how long should I keep them in soak??? When can I freeze them and where will I find bags large enough to consume a whole rooster??? hmmmmm

D'Angelo N Va. :

Hello everyone,

Today is My D day...I have killed 4 so far and I have them in a salt bath after cutting up. My question is how long should I keep them in soak??? When can I freeze them and where will I find bags large enough to consume a whole rooster??? hmmmmm

WooHoo!!! I'm going to vacu-seal mine so I can make my bags as big as need be.
smile.png
I would let them soak for about 3 days.​

Quote:
Hmm.. We did one bird on Saturday -- albeit it was a 13 month old Auracana and the smell of the wet feathers stuck in my nose for a day.. Eww.. We had to keep the front and back door to the house open to let the breeze through.. Perhaps next time we'll do it outside and maybe it won't be so bad.. Perhaps having younger birds is advantageous as well..

Quote:
WooHoo!!! I'm going to vacu-seal mine so I can make my bags as big as need be.
smile.png
I would let them soak for about 3 days.

3 days..OMG..isn't that a long time? why so long?? And I am simply asking not saying it's wrong or anything...just want to know.

Quote:
Hmm.. We did one bird on Saturday -- albeit it was a 13 month old Auracana and the smell of the wet feathers stuck in my nose for a day.. Eww.. We had to keep the front and back door to the house open to let the breeze through.. Perhaps next time we'll do it outside and maybe it won't be so bad.. Perhaps having younger birds is advantageous as well..

I was actually shocked at the no smell thing!! I guess I was expecting the feathers to be stinky and was expecting the smell to be more like when you gut a wild bird.
sickbyc.gif

have raised these birds from chicks... am talking to myself early because I have to do this...that is the reason I am raising them but it really is TOO MUCH fun !!!! (raising them I mean) So happy your experience was good ... How much salt do you put in the brine? what kind of container do you use? my fridge isn't THAT big so I guess I can't do too many at one time....right? How long? 3days in brine? Thanks for the information and congrats.....G

Quote:
Thank you! I also loved raising them and told myself the whole time that they are for food but dammit, it still made me cry when I actually had to do it!! If we had a processor around here I would totally use one!!!
roll.png
I keep mine in coolers with ice water. We have an extra fridge so they will be moved into there for the last day and then off to the freezer. I just dump about 2Tbls into my big cooler (holds 6 good size birds).

ok, cool beans. Thanks for the info. I will ice them down tonight in the salt brine and keep them in there for 2 days...tomorrow I will change the water before going to work again.

Tammy, thank goodness I asked -- I was going to put about a half cup of salt in water, only 2 tablespoons!!!!!!!!!!!! wow... didn't think of a cooler...again thanks....G

Back
Top Bottom