It's day 23 & no signs of eggs hatching.

Update?
pop.gif

Day 27, & nothing yet. We have 6 inches of snow on the ground (this never happens in GA) so I am praying we don't loose power. Supposed to get some ice today on top of snow we already have. Temp staying around 30 all week.

Hoping to leave eggs in bator for a few more days. May be crazy but we haven't given up hope yet.

Quote:
We did have one pipp, but never got any further. When I opened it up it was fully developed, but it's insides weren't all inside. It was like where the "umbilical cord" (I guess you would call it) connected to its belly didn't close all the way. But we heard it cheep and everything. And got so excited, but I was worried because it pipped on day 18. So I wasn't very suprised that it didn't make it.

We had a huge winter storm hit here last night, so now I am worried about the power going out. Only have one day left that eggs could hatch, So I hope we atleast keep power for that long.

To Scbatz33 It's day 26, do you think it is too late to try that?

It seems to me at this point you probably have no viable chicks. I would guess that if your only pip was from a chick that was underdeveloped (egg sack unabsorbed) then you're had temperature issues. I would open up the eggs and see what happened with the rest of them. Consider this an oportunity to learn. Take notes and try again. When I first started hatchign I had horrible results. I took notes on temp, humidity, candling, etc. and tried different methods until I got better....and by better, I mena my hatch rates improved.

I know you said you ahve a homemade incubator and that is really cool. I am not handy enough to make my own. However, from reading posts here, I have gathered that homemade ones are difficult to get "set". However, once you get it sorted out, you shoudl start seening better results. Good thermometer and hygrometer are your best friends. AND, make sure you have calibrated both. vary rarely are they going to come out of the pakage reading correctly.

Remember, if at first you don't succeed, try try again!

So Sorry! I had a hatch like that and it was because my temps ran on the low side. Don't give up! I have a homemade bater that now works great! For your next hatch, try keeping records like temp and humidity 3 times a day, that really helped me. Also an excellant thermometer is your best bet, I use a brinsea spot check. If you can get eggs close by you will have a much better hatch than from the mail. Keep trying, its worth it!
jumpy.gif

to the Original Poster~ Give it 2 more days, if still none have hatched out or started pipping, then call it quits. As I have been reading through the different topics on here, I have found that it isn't unheard of, for a batch running on the cool side, to start pipping on day 27. If you reach day 28.5 then your batch has been lost and you can do the moderately gross coroner work and figure out when/why they died.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great advice and support. Unfortunatly none hatched
hit.gif
, but we will try again. Just not right now (my nerves can't handle it). I plan to get all the kinks worked out of my bator completely before we try again.

For now, we just got home with 5 new silkies. Just under a week old. They are so cute. We all are already smitten.
love.gif

Thanks again for all the help!

I'm so sorry about your hatch, I'm sure that your experiences now will help create a better hatch in the future. And, congratulations on your new chicks! Hope you'll share some pics!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom