It's day 23 & no signs of eggs hatching.

Pics

woolyfirefly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
One pipped on day 18, but never got any further. when I opened the egg the chick was fully developed, but died. It's day 23 now & not a peep out of the rest. Can anyone tell me if there is still hope for the other 9 eggs? This is our first time incubating eggs.

Quote:
don't lose hope! you said 6 are dark... is the clear spot the air cell? Because that juust means they haven't pipped yet! The last time I candled my eggs, one of them was so big that I couldn't see movement, and now it's shaking in the incubator! Good luck. this is my first time, too
smile.png
fl.gif

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great advice and support. Unfortunatly none hatched
hit.gif
, but we will try again. Just not right now (my nerves can't handle it). I plan to get all the kinks worked out of my bator completely before we try again.

For now, we just got home with 5 new silkies. Just under a week old. They are so cute. We all are already smitten.
love.gif

Thanks again for all the help!

Don't give up hope.. If you want, you can go into the bathroom with the incubator and get it really steamy in there so you don't lose any humidity when you open the bator.. You can then candle them and see if they are still viable... There have been plenty of people that have gone almost a week after the hatch due date.. There was one in the last few days that the chick hatched on day 27! If you had low temps at any point in the incubation, it can slow the hatch down....

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I have had the same problem recently- fill a deep bowl with warm water and place the egg in the water (only if not pipped) If it moves- It is still alive.-WORKS GREAT!!!

It's day 25 & still nothing. Put one in water and I'm pretty sure it moved, but not positive on that. Can anyone tell me what the latest day is I should wait? Does anyone know if there is a way to get them to hatch? Or if after the last day I might could start one and see if it lives? I hate the waiting and worrying.

I had a new young broody pullet set eggs, so I let her keep a few (silkie, let her have 5 standard eggs, which was probably too many). On day 23, I thought they were dead and started to discard. There was a fully formed live chick in the first egg so I put the others back. Day 25, saw a pip. No progress, so I tried to help it, and the chick was not fully ready to hatch. I decided to let nature take it's course, since the broody was very inexperienced and I was seeing so much variance in dates/readiness. The others hatched healthy chicks on day 27, 28, and going into day 29.

I have a nice little sex-link pullet growing up out of that hatch, so I'm very glad I didn't kill them all. I never knew eggs could hatch at such variable rates before, and most of my hatches have been under broodies.

I'm so sorry about your hatch, I'm sure that your experiences now will help create a better hatch in the future. And, congratulations on your new chicks! Hope you'll share some pics!
clap.gif

Just candled eggs.
sad.png
Pretty sure all are gone. 3 had not developed at all. 6 are completely dark except for clear spot about the size of a quarter. No movement though. And clear spot was too uniform ( if that makes sense. Not sure how to desribed it).

Back
Top Bottom